savvy shopping....

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: savvy shopping....

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:You are welcome.Any convert to growing even a small amount of food is taking a stand against the 'Machine' and sticking it to 'da man'!
The Rules
You will be a good consumer and buy.
You will never shop around.
You will throw away food because the BBE says so.
You will only grow plants that we sell.
Also
You will kill them off within 3 months so we can sell you more.
You will start your Christmas shopping in October (when we put the stuff out).
You will stop buying Christmas stuff on December 28th..... When we put the Easter stuff out
You will look down on anyone buying 'Yellow-labeled' food, even if its exactly the same stuff you're buying.
You will only buy tomatoes that are between 35mm and 50mm diameter and that conform to the approved shade of red.
You will develop the need to buy whatever we choose to put 'On-Sale'. At the price marked, even though it was cheaper three months ago until we put a massive price hike on it (so we could then reduce it to the current 'Sale!!' price).

:lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
jansman wrote:You are welcome.Any convert to growing even a small amount of food is taking a stand against the 'Machine' and sticking it to 'da man'!
The Rules
You will be a good consumer and buy.
You will never shop around.
You will throw away food because the BBE says so.
You will only grow plants that we sell.
Also
You will kill them off within 3 months so we can sell you more.
You will start your Christmas shopping in October (when we put the stuff out).
You will stop buying Christmas stuff on December 28th..... When we put the Easter stuff out
You will look down on anyone buying 'Yellow-labeled' food, even if its exactly the same stuff you're buying.
You will only buy tomatoes that are between 35mm and 50mm diameter and that conform to the approved shade of red.
You will develop the need to buy whatever we choose to put 'On-Sale'. At the price marked, even though it was cheaper three months ago until we put a massive price hike on it (so we could then reduce it to the current 'Sale!!' price).

:lol:
That's the boy!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got my onion sets ready to go in. Just need time to dig and rake the bed
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I never do home delivery. I finish work around 6am and go to tesco when their fresh bread has just been delivered and is about to be hauled to the stores in the back. Noticed the stores always put bread out a day or two behind the fresh stuff during the day. Also concerning home delivery the people who pick the orders pick what is in front of the shelf which is shorter dated than stuff at the back of the shelf. I know a lot of people are unable or is not feasible to do this but just my two cents. Plus I like shopping in a near deserted store :)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
katilea

Post by katilea »

Stonecarver wrote:I never do home delivery. I finish work around 6am and go to tesco when their fresh bread has just been delivered and is about to be hauled to the stores in the back. Noticed the stores always put bread out a day or two behind the fresh stuff during the day. Also concerning home delivery the people who pick the orders pick what is in front of the shelf which is shorter dated than stuff at the back of the shelf. I know a lot of people are unable or is not feasible to do this but just my two cents. Plus I like shopping in a near deserted store :)

I use Ocado which I believe does it via computer system. I've not had food that was going out of date unless I chose something from the 'flash sales' page. I don't usually pick anything fresh from there unless it was something that could be put in the freezer as soon as it arrived. I did get a large order of tinned and packet stuff from Approved Foods before xmas who sell out of date stuff reallly cheap. Most of it is still on the top shelf in my wardrobe. I was hoarding in case I got no points for PIP and lost a huge chunk of my income and also with it being winter in case of snow ins. But despite newspaper reports of artctic freezes and 10 inch of snow our area seems to have escaped it! And I got awarded enhanced rate for 10 years so probably safe for me to start using some of that food as I don't have to worry about not being able to buy more! (unless something really drastic happens! - snowmageddon country wise, russians attacking our power plants, hacking of banks, zombie apocalypse etc! :o :shock: )