What to do?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

What to do?

Post by Brambles »

Down at the lottie the Winter Squash have been very slow, to the point the fruits are still growing. We are expecting a frost this weekend so I'm tempted to just rip the lot out and start digging ready for next season.
What do you think? good idea or no?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Peppypreppy

Re: What to do?

Post by Peppypreppy »

I would make a Bone meal and rabbit manure compost tea and water them with that every 3 days. If there's no change after two weeks I'd say they were just unfortunately a bit weak. Then I'd rip em out and compost them.
---PeppyPreppy
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Good idea, but it's not lack of nutrients or water, this summer has been cold and wet and the sun has not been there to get the plants flowering. As a result they were late setting fruit. We're due a frost this weekend which will kill off the plants which is why I was asking whether it's worth leaving them in on the offchance or just give up on them.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Peppypreppy

Post by Peppypreppy »

Are they able to be moved into a greenhouse for a longer growing season? That or you could use some frost netting if you have it on hand. If not composting them will still be of use to next year's harvest, all is not lost :)
---PeppyPreppy
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I don't think moving or covering 15 foot vines is achievable! :lol: 10 plants take up a lot of space. The weather this week is supposed to be pants (again) so I might just leave things as they are and see what next week brings. I'm hoping for an Indian Summer. :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

I would get them up,shelter them til the next dose of warmth ( we will get some!) and get them in the sun to 'cure' them.I am glad you have mentioned frost,In am going to cut my Squash now.Mine were late setting too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Ah so it wasn't just my crap gardening skills then! I have but one pumpkin which is currently only the size of a tennis ball and very green :cry: Fortunately I should be frost free for a while yet (though it feels pretty baltic for this early in September!).
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Nope it's been a rotten year for squash for me too. I didn't bother with Pumpkins and the squash varieties I normally grow are sulking, that's the best way I can describe it. The fruit are too immature to cut and cure, which is why I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Hey ho, wait and see I guess and start trialling new varietes for this area. I had it down pat for Northants! Staffs is defo different. :roll:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Did I say frost-free? Bloody baltic down here! My central heating kicked itself on yesterday! :shock: I think I'd best harvest all the chillies on the patio today just in case....!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

LOL, I know the feeling, I have been in woolies for a week now. Winter drawers on! :lol: :lol: