Mamoth Courgettes

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

Mamoth Courgettes

Post by PreppingPingu »

Hiyas, due to my daughter having a spinal op this August for her scoliosis, my allotment has been neglected all month so my courgettes are well ... rather large. They are marrow sized and larger. Do they become useless at a certain size - ie inedible or too seedy? Any advice on what I can use them for or how to preserve them. I am not a fan of courgette chutney as my mum tends to make an "interesting" recipe and I haven't ever had the heart to tell her it's not nice!! Ta!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Jamesey1981

Re: Mamoth Courgettes

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I think it might depend on the variety, but I'm pretty sure that a courgette will just become a marrow if left long enough, I've eaten them when they were massive and it was pretty much a marrow, but I don't know if some varieties would become overly bitter or tough, I would say chop the end off one and fry it up in a little butter and seasoning and give it a go, it won't kill you and then you can see if it's worth cooking one up.

If they are marrow like then my favourite thing to do is peel them, hollow the seeds out, stuff them with mince and bake them.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Hope your daughter is making progress and healing well. :)

Yep +1 on stuffed, but I use sausagemeat with a finely chopped and fried onion added. Oh and I peel and de seed, cut the marrow/courgette into 2-3 inch rings then stuff before baking. it's a bit quicker and everyone gets a crispy bit :D

I have tried a few chutney recipes for courgette in my time and they all tasted.....erm.....interesting! :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Like they said,its a marrow.Marrow is nice chopped into cubes ( take the skin off) and added to a lamb stew I make.For two of us I use about 400g diced lamb,dust in flour and seal in fry pan.Add coarse chopped onion,Quartered really, and garlic to taste and grated fresh ginger.Dried will do.Give it a minute or so and stir in tom purée. Tip the lot into a big pan and add stock or water to cover and a glug of Tabasco sauce,salt and pepper.Simmer for an hour and add a tin of chickpeas. Then add quartered tomatoes,DICED MARROW, and some shredded kale or cabbage.Simmer a while longer and serve with decent bread.

Of course you can omit the lamb,use beef or keep it vegetarian.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Cor! That sounds good J. Thanks. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

I had giant courgettes one year too and found you can also put it in cake. It was lovely. I just google a few different recipes and tried them but it was a great way to use them up as we got a bit fed up of eating them.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Thanks for your ideas!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Cor! That sounds good J. Thanks. :)
It's nice the day after too! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.