What are you preserving?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: What are you preserving?

Post by Brambles »

I'll dig out my recipe for you.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:Have you ever pickled French beans J? OMG they are fab!
No.Will you tell me how please? :D
+1 for the instructions :D I have a glut of french beans arriving in the garden!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Any news on the pickled French bean recipe Brambles? I love anything pickled and I'd like to try them, never thought of doing French beans.

Not sure if it counts as preserving, but I made some blackberry whisky the other day, really easy to do, I'm sure at least a few people on here will have tried it, but if not I did a how to video. https://youtu.be/P29aQxd3b-8

The blackberries weren't quite there last weekend, lots of under ripe ones so didn't get enough for jam, but we're going out to pick some more today. Hopefully there will be enough to do jam and if there's loads I'm going to do wine too, not tried blackberry wine yet, I've heard it's improved by adding some elderberries so I'll see if there's any of those ready too.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Have posted the recipe here
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14780
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Have posted the recipe here
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14780
Thankyoooo! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Does turning a load of plums into wine class as preserving? We've made a load of jam already and there's a limit to how much we need and that's without even starting on the crab apples , cox's or anything else.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote:Does turning a load of plums into wine class as preserving? We've made a load of jam already and there's a limit to how much we need and that's without even starting on the crab apples , cox's or anything else.
Yes it does!!!!! I am sorting plums to make 5 gallons tomorrow.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I picked eleven takeaway tubs of blackberries today, that'll do us for jam for the year, next lot will be for wine, the elderberries are nearly ready too so blackberry and elderberry wine is the plan.
The ones I picked today will be jam by tomorrow night, and we made five jars with what we picked last weekend, it set too which was nice, my jam thermometer broke and I had to get a new one so last week's needed checking with a cold saucer and I've never been all that good at that!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I got some pickling onions today so will get them done tomorrow and apart from topping up the dehydrated stores, that's pretty much it for this season. I look forward to eating it all now
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I lied! I made a few jars of Piccalilli today, I had all the ingredients :)

I have to say, it turned out very well. I forgot how much fun and how cheap it is pickling. :)