Physalis

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
piglet

Physalis

Post by piglet »

Hello

Does anyone grow these?
I have known people who have grown them in their gardens down here in the South, but exclusively for use in flower decorations.
They have told me that they are hardy perennials and given the right soil conditions will propagate easily.

But has anyone any experience of growing them successfully, for the fruit, please?
ain't settlin'
Brambles

Re: Physalis

Post by Brambles »

A neighbour at the old allotment site I was at grew them as an annual for the fruit every year. They started the plants off indoors then planted them out and left them to grow. I don't recall anything special being done and they always got a good crop. Apparently they are not hardy which would be why they were grown as an annual.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

For those (like me) who aren't good at plant names
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis

Piglet: If you do go for it, please post results.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I grew these a few years ago, absolutely delicious, taste was sweeter than those in the supermarkets, grew in a bucket and moved it around the plot to get the maximum sun in autumn. I forgot to put into the greenhouse to see if it would come back the following year so no idea if possible to keep it going for more than one season. They are ripe when they fall off the plant, hence the other name of ground cherries. The paper case protects them when they fall off. worth growing if you like them.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.