What to Plant NOW?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

What to Plant NOW?

Post by diamond lil »

I didn't get anything done in the veg garden this year at all, been concentrating on the flower beds and borders, because last year I got nothing at all done. My question is - what can I plant now or this autumn? Bearing in mind my situation up here, high and cold with a short season. Can I do leeks or turnips or is it too late? Is there anything that would overwinter here?
General DeGaulle

Re: What to Plant NOW?

Post by General DeGaulle »

What about peas? Shoots can be used as salad leaves, and relatively quick growing for a good crop come September. Broad beans can be planted in September/October for an early crop in May.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Turnips you can do.Something like 'Snowball',they grow quick.Lettuce,Winter Density or Little Gem.Now is the time to sow Spring Cabbage.Broad beans as mentioned.Aquadulce Claudia is a good over Winter variety- although I don't know about sowing them in the Arctic Circle! :lol: Japanese onions,garlic,radish.

I had a Polish neighbour who sowed radish in the Autumn and used the leaves.Any left in the Spring matured into radish.He told me that back in Poland there were two seasons Winter and June! :lol: That's why he grew things the way he did.

Spinach beet you can sow now ( should be August but you are so far North I reckon you will be OK).Beetroot NOW will give you baby beet and leaves too.Chinese greens if you like them,such as Pak Choi,or Mitsuna Greens.
Hope that helps.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I need a Polish neighbour - they obv understand my weather :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No broad beans - canny stand the things. Peas might work ty mon general!
Def want turnips jansman, I keep saying this but somehow they never get into the ground.. Lettuce I never thought of, that's easy. What about Kale or is it too late? At least I know that will grow here,
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks Andy - I'll go with July as we're 6 weeks behind folk in the south.
Think I'll do turnip, spring onions, spring greens, and poss some lettuce. TY everybody :mrgreen:
Well I will once the monsoon goes off...
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Kale - will overwinter and provide greens, love Cavalo Nero
Potatoes - you'll probably not get blight up there! Spuds for autumn and the Christmas table. (Am trying summer planted spuds myself this year!)
Pak choi - definitely time to get some in (ooer missus!)
Radishes - personally not a fan but they seem to crop in 30 days
Swiss chard - will crop for now and overwinter
Spring onions - no need to wait for long days to get them to plump up! Not that long days are a problem for you...
Carrots - you still have time for a crop I'd say.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

I reckon you can get away with kale (if you can get plants that would be even better!).
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I've just cleaned out a couple of planters that had salad leaves and spinach in them, I think I'm going to reseed with spinach and mangetout peas. I already have a planter with some mangetout in and they are almost ready. Have to say they've done remarkably well, very pleased with the result. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Got a list written now and will go onto ebay and look for plants/seeds. The veg plot bit is soft earth and just needs forked over, but its like a waterfall outside and I haven't even shoved my nose outside today. Yes we have long days preppergirl, so things have plenty time to catch up. Currently starts to get light around 3.30 and dark around 11pm - we're high up and see the dawn coming in for miles. I will try radishes too, I not sure if I've had them before - are they wee round red oniony things? :mrgreen: I am not an adventurous eater, can you tell? :mrgreen: