Sheds and Green houses

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Trojanhorse

Sheds and Green houses

Post by Trojanhorse »

Hi

I thought I would ask here for advice as we have so much talent. I did check the search side but nothing really came up.

1) Does anyone recommend a shed supplier. I measured my space and I think I could fit 11 x 7 if not longer shed.

2) My garden faces North with the sun hitting the LH side of garden at the bottom from mid morning. Where should I put the greenhouse.

I am looking to grow tomatoes, corgettes etc nothing to fancy. My parents are keen gardeners so i know a little but looking at more advice.

Thank you everyone
jansman

Re: Sheds and Green houses

Post by jansman »

My youngest daughter actually sells sheds and greenhouses for a living,but we are in Leicestershire,and transport costs have to be considered in your purchase. Personally,I would find a supplier close to you and check their reputation.

Buy the best you can afford - it will pay in the end.We had a Summerhouse custom built 3 years ago,and I am so glad we did.

Regarding the space you will fit the shed into,allow space ALL the way around it for routine maintenance.It will need preservative at least every two years,and eventually re felting.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You're wanting the shed for tool storage? I wouldn't put it where its taking up valuable sunshine that crops can use. A greenhouse is different, of course, that needs sunshine.

Have you got any neighbours that are keen gardeners? Could be a great way to make local links. Or a Horticultural Society?

Totally in agreement with what jansman said about getting *all* the way round the shed for maintenance purposes. People tend to put them right on their boundary, and can't get all the way round. That was how my wooden shed died - a storm ripped off some of the roofing felt, and I didn't see it until it was much too late. That started the rot, literally, and now its just four walls, leaning ever so slightly. I use it as a "woodshed" to stack wood thats due to go into the incinerator.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Troj, are you looking for a wooden shed, or are you flexible on material? What are your constraints, price, local availability, site prep, self assembly? What uses are you to put the shed to? What access do you need to it, size of door(s), placement?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I've had a couple from Walton Garden Buildings, the cheapest ones are just cheap and flexi but the more expensive ones are very good. If you are nearby and have transport it's worth visiting to see if they have anything ex display.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Thanks everyone

The shed will be mainly for tools, paints etc and some preps.

Cost is not to much of an issue as I have saved for this but do not want a gold plated padlock!

As for the greenhouse my neighbour has a small one but on the side of the house - East side.

Thanks for all your help so far
shocker

Post by shocker »

I would certainly go with wood in that case. With, at least, a wooden floor with a Damp Proof Course (DPC) between the timber and the ground. Both Plastic and metal sheds tend towards condensation. Well, more than tend, mine (metal shed :? ) can be like a bloody rain forest inside...which is less than helpful for tools and preps, etc.

On the bright side, it could be used as a makeshift solar still for drinking water in a SHTF scene. Or a Dave Allen sketch. :oops: :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:I would certainly go with wood in that case. With, at least, a wooden floor with a Damp Proof Course (DPC) between the timber and the ground. Both Plastic and metal sheds tend towards condensation. Well, more than tend, mine (metal shed :? ) can be like a bloody rain forest inside...which is less than helpful for tools and preps, etc.

On the bright side, it could be used as a makeshift solar still for drinking water in a SHTF scene. Or a Dave Allen sketch. :oops: :cry:
Gotta love a bit of Dave Allen.

"I know you, you're the Irish comedian with half a finger"

"no I'm the Irish comedian with nine and a half fingers" :lol:

Admittedly its better when he does it.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:I would certainly go with wood in that case. With, at least, a wooden floor with a Damp Proof Course (DPC) between the timber and the ground. Both Plastic and metal sheds tend towards condensation. Well, more than tend, mine (metal shed :? ) can be like a bloody rain forest inside...which is less than helpful for tools and preps, etc.

I agree totally with what Shocks says about metal sheds. The only way we found to deal with the rainforest problem was to artistically drill a series of holes top and bottom to encourage airflow, Oh and don't site it in the shade!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you go for a wooden shed, make sure you budget for some guttering, or get that included in the supplier's quote, it's handy as you get to collect the rain water that comes off the roof, but it also directs that water away and stops it dripping off the roof onto the walls, if you don't have guttering the walls will never dry out and will rot from the bottom, makes it much drier inside the shed too.

Guttering on my shed cost about fifty or sixty quid all in, and it's not hard to fit, took maybe two hours singlehanded and I'm no expert, I consider that a bargain if it helps my shed last longer, and I'm collecting more water for my plants.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Thu May 04, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.