What are you harvesting?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What are you harvesting?

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

The first French beans (I started everything very late this year), just harvested the garlic. Lots of Swiss chard and some bolted Pak Choi. Gooseberries, blackcurrants (all 4 of them! - it's a new bush :D ), blueberries. One of my chilli plants keeled over under the weight of rain yesterday and its stem completely snapped :cry: so I've harvested its green chillies. Am eyeing up the cherry tree on the unused ground at the back of my house, some of whose branches hang over my garden. Going to be a race between me and the local birdies I think....!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

We had our first runner beans tonight.They are lovely.At the weekend there will be the first tomatoes. Smashing!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I reckon I'm about 2 weeks later up here than I was in Northamptonshire. Beans are flowering and the summer squash are just starting to get buds. The toms are a bit of a write-off. They haven't done very well at all. :roll: but I have a cracking crop of Beetroot coming on and for the first time ever I have a row of Parsnips!!!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jarhead55

Post by Jarhead55 »

Gotta say, lots of respect to you harvesters.
Only thing Ive ever grown is a beard.
Maybe me and the missus should check it out.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:I reckon I'm about 2 weeks later up here than I was in Northamptonshire. Beans are flowering and the summer squash are just starting to get buds. The toms are a bit of a write-off. They haven't done very well at all. :roll: but I have a cracking crop of Beetroot coming on and for the first time ever I have a row of Parsnips!!!
My beet and parsnips are exceptional this year too.What variety of toms do you grow Brambles?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:I reckon I'm about 2 weeks later up here than I was in Northamptonshire. Beans are flowering and the summer squash are just starting to get buds. The toms are a bit of a write-off. They haven't done very well at all. :roll: but I have a cracking crop of Beetroot coming on and for the first time ever I have a row of Parsnips!!!
My beet and parsnips are exceptional this year too.What variety of toms do you grow Brambles?
This year I had to buy in plants and got Ailsa Craig and Roma. I normally grow Gardeners delight or Red Alert and San Marzano. None of them have done very well, the plants are short and there's about a dozen tomatoes on each. No tomatoes for bottling this year. Hey ho :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

I always grow( outdoors) Marmande.They are a big ugly continental job.They take some staking and the yield is good.I got the seed from an old boy in the village a good twenty years ago.They are ideal for cooking with too. If you would like some seed when I save some,you are welcome.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:I always grow( outdoors) Marmande.They are a big ugly continental job.They take some staking and the yield is good.I got the seed from an old boy in the village a good twenty years ago.They are ideal for cooking with too. If you would like some seed when I save some,you are welcome.
Yes please! I used to grow Marmande years ago, then they 'improved' it and it became Super Marmande but the results were not as good. I'll have some borlotti bean seed and yellow crookneck summer squash(better flavour and not as prolific as courgette!)to swap if you're interested
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:
jansman wrote:I always grow( outdoors) Marmande.They are a big ugly continental job.They take some staking and the yield is good.I got the seed from an old boy in the village a good twenty years ago.They are ideal for cooking with too. If you would like some seed when I save some,you are welcome.
Yes please! I used to grow Marmande years ago, then they 'improved' it and it became Super Marmande but the results were not as good. I'll have some borlotti bean seed and yellow crookneck summer squash(better flavour and not as prolific as courgette!)to swap if you're interested
Reckon you got a deal! I'm big squash fan,and always like new beans. We will speak of trade in the Autumn. :D Incidentally,the chap I got them from was called Toni,an Italian chap.He brought the seed with him when he settled here in the 50's.He used to grow about 100 and more plants as I recall,and he bottled his own passata every year from them.They took up half his allotment! They are not blight resistant,but you can usually get a good crop before The Blight.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Fantastic! Looking forward to it. :D