What are you harvesting?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What are you harvesting?

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote:Incidentally,the chap I got them from was called Toni,an Italian chap.He brought the seed with him when he settled here in the 50's.He used to grow about 100 and more plants as I recall,and he bottled his own passata every year from them.
How utterly fantastic! They'll be well localised for your area after 60 years. This kind of story I love, it's what old-fashioned allotmenting and homesteading is about: self-reliance, hard work, sharing, preserving history. :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Jarhead55 wrote:Gotta say, lots of respect to you harvesters.
Only thing Ive ever grown is a beard.
Maybe me and the missus should check it out.
Even if you have only a sunny windowsill I personally would recommend starting with chillies. Something like a cayenne pepper. They are reliable, fruit prolifically and are really, really easy. Even if you don't like chillies (like me!) I still recommend them because they are so easy and it's just so rewarding seeing something grow and come to fruition and you can alway give them away. As a bonus, you can save the seeds from your ripe chillies and grow more the next year.

Beginning of March get some seed (Poundland, Amazon, Ebay, a neighbour). Get an old plastic takeaway dish, make a couple of holes in the bottom, almost fill it with compost (the stuff from Poundland will do), moisten with a little water*. Put a seed every square inch. Sprinkle over a little more compost so the seeds are just covered. Put in a warm (not hot) place with the lid on (about 21-25C - I sit them on top of my computer which is on 24/7, I know other people sit them on their Sky/Cable box which is always warm to the touch....just be careful when you water!). Take the lid off for 20 minutes every day until you see seedlings appearing - anything from 7-14 days, then keep the lid off and put the dish in the window. Keep moist but not wet. Once the seedlings have their second set of leaves gently transplant them individually into small plant pots (Poundland again). If you don't fancy doing the seed thing then pop off to Homebase or some place and buy some baby plants. Keep them in as sunny a place as possible watering only when the compost starts to dry out. As they get bigger and the roots fill that pot, pot up into a bigger pot. At this point you might want to give them some tomato food (you guessed it...Poundland), just follow the instructions on the packet. If your plants are indoors you'll have to perform a spot of vegetable husbandry as there are no pollinating insects: when you have a flower, gently rub the inside of the flower with a Q-Tip, or your finger. I like to play some Barry White whilst doing this...! ;) :D Before you know it you'll have some little green chillies which by the end of summer will be turning red :D

* Personally I use cold camomile tea rather than water (one tea bag in a pint of boiling water, leave to go cold) as camomile has anti-fungal properties.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Just FYI for anyone that wants to grow some chillies, Wahaca (a Mexican restaurant chain) give seeds away for nothing, they come in a little matchbook, they normally drop one onto the plate with your bill on it but they also have a load of them by the tills and in my one they don't mind if you want a few extra. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bumping this along...This year has been fantastic so far. Where do I start? The freezers are FULL.The dehydrator has never been off and those jars are racking up.Tonight I have stripped one of the apple trees.They store well,but I shall start drying some too ( they are great that way) and I have onions ready for pickling. Lovin'it! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Beans, more beans and some beans.
Tomatoes in yellow and purple....... Not sure when the "Green Zebra" will be ready though :oops:
Blackberrys and any foraged stone fruits I can find
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Just about finished with the beetroot and runner beans,I only had 10 plants in a container at home but they did pretty well. I'm now picking french beans, 2lb or so today and a few young borlotti beans. It's not worth letting the pods develop this late in the season so they are a nice addition fresh. The french beans are freezer fodder and I'll can the beetroot next week.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Runner beans, peas, mange tout (which have gone over but can be shelled and eaten as peas!), apples - so many apples... and the plum tree has been amazing this year. It's only young - planted it about 3 years ago but has a huge crop of the loveliest deep red plums. We also have a small fig tree planted in a trug (we're in the south west so can grow more tender plants) and it has 8 fresh figs almost ready for the picking.

Need to do some blanching and freezing with the peas & beans this afternoon. Has anyone tried freezing without the blanching?? What happens?
jansman

Post by jansman »

mushroom wrote:Runner beans, peas, mange tout (which have gone over but can be shelled and eaten as peas!), apples - so many apples... and the plum tree has been amazing this year. It's only young - planted it about 3 years ago but has a huge crop of the loveliest deep red plums. We also have a small fig tree planted in a trug (we're in the south west so can grow more tender plants) and it has 8 fresh figs almost ready for the picking.

Need to do some blanching and freezing with the peas & beans this afternoon. Has anyone tried freezing without the blanching?? What happens?
They look and taste manky!Blanching is worth the effort IMO.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

jansman wrote:
mushroom wrote:Runner beans, peas, mange tout (which have gone over but can be shelled and eaten as peas!), apples - so many apples... and the plum tree has been amazing this year. It's only young - planted it about 3 years ago but has a huge crop of the loveliest deep red plums. We also have a small fig tree planted in a trug (we're in the south west so can grow more tender plants) and it has 8 fresh figs almost ready for the picking.

They look and taste manky!Blanching is worth the effort IMO.

Ah! Good job I went to the bother of doing it then!! Thanks! :D
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Another couple of pounds of french beans in the freezer. Now they are getting going I'll can the next batch.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon