What are you harvesting?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: What are you harvesting?

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:The summer crops have just about done, I may get one more picking of french beans. We had a frost so I think that'ss about it. The winter veg are looking good, Kale is ready to pick and sprouts, purple broc and parsnips going well. The Borlottis were still going when I looked on tues, so am waiting for them to start dying back before I harvest the beans. They look magnificent with their maroon and green/white pods! can't wait to get them in the kitchen.
That sums up my garden too Brambles.Next year I shall be growing more climbing beans.They are such a valuable crop given that they grow vertically,thus saving space,and a great protein source.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:The summer crops have just about done, I may get one more picking of french beans. We had a frost so I think that'ss about it. The winter veg are looking good, Kale is ready to pick and sprouts, purple broc and parsnips going well. The Borlottis were still going when I looked on tues, so am waiting for them to start dying back before I harvest the beans. They look magnificent with their maroon and green/white pods! can't wait to get them in the kitchen.
That sums up my garden too Brambles.Next year I shall be growing more climbing beans.They are such a valuable crop given that they grow vertically,thus saving space,and a great protein source.
That's my plan too Jansman. I want to find some good cannelini or haricot bean seeds for next year.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a neighbour who has the Gigantes runner bean.That'll be good.I have Blue Lake French beans,which can be dried and used as a Haricot ( although they are black in colour) and its been a corking crop.Do you want some Brambles?

My runners ( Streamline I think- they are 20 odd years old)I use as a dry bean too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:I have a neighbour who has the Gigantes runner bean.That'll be good.I have Blue Lake French beans,which can be dried and used as a Haricot ( although they are black in colour) and its been a corking crop.Do you want some Brambles?

My runners ( Streamline I think- they are 20 odd years old)I use as a dry bean too.
Always happy to try a new one J. :) White Emergo has always been my go-to runner bean and I keep meaning to keep some to use in cooking, but I end up eating them before they get to seed stage :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm doing yet more apples!
Picked all of the ones I can reach, might be a few more windfalls that are ok but I've got most of them.
Got another batch of apple vodka going, a huge pan of grape and apple chutney cooking, and I still have about 25 kilos of apples to deal with, I'll dry a load and lightly cook some with a little touch of sugar, then I vacuum pack them in crumble/pie sized bags and freeze them, they are also about the right size for a batch of fruit leather when I feel like making it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Was up the allotment as the weather looked like putting a stop to our sunday morning walk. Went up to do some preps for next year but came away with a load of raspberries, the last of the broad beans and some onions, still got some onions and leeks (apparently) in which I'll get next time we're up. Straight out onto the lunch time dog walk and got another batch of hazelnuts, straight on the dehydrator at a low temp to dry them and hasten the process of getting the kernels out.

Now sunday can be a day of rest and I'm watching football and having a glass of something cool and refreshing. Slainte foks.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I went out mushroom picking today, came home with a pound and a half of Ceps, really nice haul.
Just had tagliatelle al funghi for dinner and a have a full load in the dehydrator. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I went out mushroom picking today, came home with a pound and a half of Ceps, really nice haul.
Just had tagliatelle al funghi for dinner and a have a full load in the dehydrator. :)
Excellent! It will be a couple of weeks before Wood and Field Blewitts show around here.They have always been a local prize.One has to be quick off the mark,as there are two other chaps in the village who know where to look.One is my neighbour and the other my mate- both retired,lucky gits!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jay

Post by Jay »

It is walnut season here at present so after bashing our tree today and gathering a decent crop tomorrow we will be heading out with a long pole to go walnut tree bashing in the surrounding countryside.

Our neighbours told us of an old Romanian proverb: "A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be."

I think I will give the first two a miss and proceed directly to the third!!!
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I just harvested the Borlotti beans. I dragged home 30lbs of full pods not including the ones selected for seed next year. :shock: Some that were at the leathery stage I have podded to eat now and freeze the beans in a similar way to broad beans. The rest are on a sheet on the bedroom floor finishing drying. :D
It really has been a bumper crop 30lbs from 65 plants. I'm looking forward to seeing what the dry weight is.