What are you harvesting?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: What are you harvesting?

Post by Deeps »

Her Maj made some kind of rhubarb cake, home grown rhubarb to boot, I'm just not a huge rhubarb fan, I'll give it a go though. We take a wee bit longer up here for the growing season to start although we've had some fantastic weather of late which might hasten things.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I grow one rhubarb plant only.That is for the purpose of making a rhubarb chutney each year.Very nice too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11078

For anyone who would like to like rhubarb! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Lawrence Hills of Garden Organic fame once wrote a pamphlet entitled "What you could be eating now if you'd planted it in time". I have never been able to find a copy, but I wonder how many potential allies he alienated with the title?

Anyway, we don't have much at the moment. Some sort-of Crown Prince squash left from last year (great keeper and very tasty - anyone want some seed?), leeks just finished, chard more-or-less finished but new season not too far off, rhubarb sort-of coming on. I also have salad leaves from sowings in the conservatory, which is nice. And bean sprouts.
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

i dug my rhubarb up couple of years ago, we can't eat it anymore, its too acidy, but at the moment i have salad leaves, and herbs, toms coming up in greenhouse ,and cucumbers and peppers planted, spuds are doing well, unfortunately, i have loads of rabbits and pheasants and pigeons who love my crops, so have got fed up planting things just for them, but the salad leaves are in the conservatory,have to say, i love all the wildlife, even though eat my crops.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

about to plant out spinach for this season. Possibly cabbage too.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

I normally aim for the first ( proper sized) new potatoes by Whitsun ( showing me age! :lol: ) but - woohoo!- I lifted a bucketful from the polytunnel last night. :D So today it will be lamb chops new spuds with mint and butter and a salad of lettuce ,spring onion and radish from the green house.Love it when a plan comes together!

The tomatoes and peppers are romping away in the tunnel now,so well on target to get three crops from there again.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Catswhiskers

Post by Catswhiskers »

Last of the rhubarb. First of the green beans , last of strawberries and some of last years curly kale all from polytunnel ( if you cut the top off the plant it will produce new leaves, small but delicious, ditto with cabbage). First strawberries, mangetout and sugar snap peas outside.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Just back from the lottie with 7ibs of broad beans, 5lbs peas and a few new potatoes. Pulled the garlic while I was there, back tomorrow to pick more raspberries and blackcurrants. Got the first picking of mangetouts from the planter in the garden, enough for tea tonight.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

^^LIKE^^

Robert Frost.

Me.