Whiskey, Wine and Sweets

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
mightymayesy

Whiskey, Wine and Sweets

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Thus far I have Rice, Tins, Water and Sanitary for nearly 90 days - which is my (immediate) goal.
I am trying to buy what I eat and eat what I buy. But as aforementioned this is fairly boring food that meet our calorie requirements.
Longer term, what Preps do you do for "fun"?
I have wine and whiskey in the house which won't spoil - at least i don't think so unless not stored correctly?
But how about chocolate, sweeties and junk. The little treats in the house that would missed in a SHTF situation etc. What are good long term sweetie storage solutions?
Thanks in advance.
MM
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
jansman

Re: Whiskey, Wine and Sweets

Post by jansman »

Booze will keep indefinitely. Like all foodstuffs,keep cool,dry and dark.Sweets are the same I guess.Anything with a high percentage of sugar will keep virtually forever.Fizzy pop is another.

Trying to remember my food safety training from back when God was a lad:

Sugary,salty,acidic and alcoholic will not spoil,as none of those environments are conducive to bacterial growth.

We keep a few sweets and chocolate in,and some coke and lemonade. I don't eat many sweets,but now and again I do like a glass of lemonade,but coca cola you can keep!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'd have thought sugary drinks would take a huge volume of storage space for what they give you. I go the route of buying raw ingredients to *make* stuff - dehydrated coconut, sugar, and a tin of evap = coconut ice, for example. Tin of syrup, oats, butter, cocoa powder = chocolate flapjacks, that sort of thing. Powdered milk and proper custard powder, or flour and butter for an actual white sauce to go with steamed sponge pudding or something. For a quick fix to up your storage levels before you get to learning skills, ordinary jam can fill a gap - strawberry, blackcurrant and marmalade all have nice strong flavours.

And wine doesn't last forever, sorry! Though spirits seem to.

I like *tangy* savoury foods - so the rice, mayesy, that can be zhuzzed up with chili or mediterranean herbs or whatever you like.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I agree ,wine and beer does not last forever ( not in our gaff anyway!) but it does last a good long time.I don't believe that there is,a foodstuff that truly will last ' forever'.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I have to say, I gave up trying to store anything of the craving variety as I have no won't power at all. I've even tried storing sweets and chocolate in mylar in the hope it would make me think twice. it didn't :shock: :lol: So now I keep some sweets and chocolate in the cupboard and replace when they're gone. :oops: A couple of bottles of good Bourbon and a few 1/2 bottles of nasty Vodka and I'm good.

On the still tasty website http://www.stilltasty.com/ the consensus for sweets and chocolate is 1-2 years but I reckon longer. However, Honey stores for years.

Because I am so weak-willed I store the ingredients to make things. With what I normally have in my stores I can make fudge, tablet, honecomb, coconut ice, peppermint fondant, chocolate fondant etc. A good old fashioned cookbook is your friend when using food storage.

EDIT: I see me and Arzosah are on the same page :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have had to stop having all three in the list.

I no longer crave or want them after 1 year so money can be spent on other preps.

Any I do have in my preps are now classed as trade items.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I like to keep plenty wine in the house, a lot of it in boxes as its easier to store and I've found one that I quite like and is fairly cheap. Got the equivalent of over a hundred bottles in and tend to add to the stock. We're not really spirit drinkers but have some in that we've accumulated over the years. I've got cheap Aldi midget gems in, several packets but they're stuck away in a box with chewing gum and other stuff like that, while Her Maj has been known to like chocolate and the like we don't store much although like some of the others, we have the makings to do biscuits/cakes and whatnot, not sure how much though, that's more her bag.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Whilst I am not a big chocolate eater, I do see a benefit of having some in your preps.

If a major SHTF situation has occurred, the comfort of treating yourself with chocolate or sweets could be a real moral booster. Also, the added sugar boost and calories can help.
I have read that chocolate can keep for an awful long time, so I have a small stack of solid chocolate in the form of Yorkie bars.

I also keep a stash of boiled sweets hidden away for the same reason. I find them comforting in everyday stressful situations, so can only assume they will do similar if SHTF.

We really don't drink beer\lager in our house so I don't keep any of that. I have been known to sup a little Jack Daniels every few months, so we have a fair few bottles of that tucked away. As well a Gin for the missus.

None of this touches on the tradeability of chocolate\sweets\booze. If it came to it, I'd rather trade the JD than the chocolate.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Brambles wrote:On the still tasty website http://www.stilltasty.com/ the consensus for sweets and chocolate is 1-2 years but I reckon longer.
I agree. When I was last being made redundant in 2013, I made a bit of a stockpile of a particular type of dark chocolate which was on offer at the time. I still have a couple of bars left and they are still edible! :mrgreen: I think dark chocolate has a longer shelf life over milk.

I don't drink alcohol often, but I do have a small stock of booze. When my knee is better I need to audit everything - currently I cannot bend down to get to one of the cupboards, but I fear some of the Baileys type stuff may have gone off because of its cream content. I could do with having another go at sloe gin this year before my sloe supply is finally destroyed and becomes 'affordable' housing.

I am a firm believer in 'a little bit of what you fancy does you good' and I think in a SHTF situation, that would be even more important. Hence stocking up on my favourite chocolate when I knew I was losing my job - it helped my mental health a lot!
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Deeps - does boxed wine keep as well as bottled? They're definitely easier to store, but they don't seem robust.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.