Whiskey, Wine and Sweets

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: Whiskey, Wine and Sweets

Post by Deeps »

dangerman wrote:Deeps - does boxed wine keep as well as bottled? They're definitely easier to store, but they don't seem robust.
Most bottled wine now seems to have a shorter shelf life than it used to, boxed wine is the same although it doesn't get much of a chance to go out of date here. 8-) Its definitely easier to stow and transport and of course no risk of broken glass. You'll need to do some 'thorough research' on boxed wines to find some that work for you mate, some of it is decent stuff, while I'm not saying its the best stuff ever, the Asda own Aussie shiraz does a job for me, its £11.50 a box (3 bottles) but was only a tenner a couple of years back. :evil:

Boxes don't take up much room in a rucksack and if you're the kind of sick weirdo that saves some instead of tanning the box you can split the sides of the box and compact it smaller using a bit of tape or whatever to keep it together.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:I agree ,wine and beer does not last forever ( not in our gaff anyway!) but it does last a good long time.I don't believe that there is,a foodstuff that truly will last ' forever'.
Honey comes close to 'Forever'

Brambles: TEOTWAWKI+365 I'm going to come to yours because by then I'll do (almost) anything for fudge :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

I suppose honey does last,I forgot that they found it ( allegedly still good) in the pyramids.Pity I never liked it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
jansman wrote:I agree ,wine and beer does not last forever ( not in our gaff anyway!) but it does last a good long time.I don't believe that there is,a foodstuff that truly will last ' forever'.

Brambles: TEOTWAWKI+365 I'm going to come to yours because by then I'll do (almost) anything for fudge :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:

To paraphrase Meatloaf, "I'd do anything for love......but I won't swallow that" :o

I know, I know, I'm going, where did I leave my coat. :D
womble

Post by womble »

jansman wrote:Booze will keep indefinitely. Like all foodstuffs,keep cool,dry and dark.Sweets are the same I guess.Anything with a high percentage of sugar will keep virtually forever.Fizzy pop is another.

Trying to remember my food safety training from back when God was a lad:

Sugary,salty,acidic and alcoholic will not spoil,as none of those environments are conducive to bacterial growth.

We keep a few sweets and chocolate in,and some coke and lemonade. I don't eat many sweets,but now and again I do like a glass of lemonade,but coca cola you can keep!
Fizzy pop does not last. We had surplus lemonade from our wedding from Sainsburys, and it was only just about drinkable by the time its "Best Before" came around, and a couple of months later wasn't; it tasted stale, and all the fizz had diffused away. Similarly with cola (though this was discovered through accidentally buying post-BB-date pop from the shop. This in PET bottles; cans might keep better. I'm sure, even if it wasn't very palatable, it was still safe to drink though, and still had as much sugary goodness as it had when bottled.
shocker

Post by shocker »

As said earlier, dark chocolate keeps better than others. I am lead to believe that its the high cocoa fat content that does that and its less liable to melting in warm times too. I have some bad memories of drinking warm milk chocolate bars from their wrappers in the distant past.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
jooqey

Post by jooqey »

I know very little on prepping, but i've been an avid whisky collector for years. I can say that if you're going to store whisky for any length of time, store it upright as the alcohol content will degrade the cork over time. The fumes from the high alcohol content will keep the cork moist enough. On the other hand wine with it's lower content need to be laying down i think?
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all - thanks for taking the time to post.
I have some initial research to go and google.
MM
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I'm a bit late to the party, but this may be of value.
Last yr myself and the missus went glamping in the van for a week. We keep in the van a smaller proportion of all the preps we keep in the house, all the usuals plus goodies. We decided just for the laff, to live entirely off the van preps.
We are obviously all different, but we learnt these lessons.
After just a couple days no chocolate was touched. Wifey normally has a bar a day but she couldn't face it. Instead, citrusy type sweeties were great.
We had lots of spirits onboard, but not normally being big spirit drinkers, we went through the beer and wine onboard before even touching them. Classic case of prepping with booze we don't usually plough through. We no longer buy a bottle of spirits a month to prep and stash away.
Off topic but we learnt that we'd rather have tinned or dried fruits over any sort of chocolate.

If anyone takes anything from this, if you ever want to truly learn if your preps are adequate, then try living off of them for a week. Heck, even four days should be long enough for your body to tell you what you need, and your brain to tell you what you'd really like.

Our prepping stocks and prepping shopping changed a lot after that one week experiment.