Homebrew

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
tanstaafl

Homebrew

Post by tanstaafl »

After years of being a wine drinker I have really gotten into Real Ales over the past 6 months, but they can be quite pricey, £6 for 4 bottles at the mo.

So thought I might try home brewing :D

Any tips and tricks, have heard that Wilko does good value kits ??
jansman

Re: Homebrew

Post by jansman »

Wilkos kits make a passable brew.You have to ' shortbrew' them though ( instead of twenty litres of water,add 17 for better flavour).However,I would go for Coopers kits every time. Their English bitter is bang on.This time of year you can brew from start to drinking in 6 weeks for best results. If you have a brewing mat or jacket I bet you would get it down to a month. Coopers are 14quid for a 40 pint kit at wilkos.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

jansman wrote:Wilkos kits make a passable brew.You have to ' shortbrew' them though ( instead of twenty litres of water,add 17 for better flavour).However,I would go for Coopers kits every time. Their English bitter is bang on.This time of year you can brew from start to drinking in 6 weeks for best results. If you have a brewing mat or jacket I bet you would get it down to a month. Coopers are 14quid for a 40 pint kit at wilkos.

Cheers will have a look tommorow
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The youngs American kits are nice too, the American pale ale is lovely if you like a bitter beer with plenty of hops, and the mocha porter is nice if you like a dark beer, that one makes a little less though.
They're not cheap but everything is included, even priming sugar.

As for tips, clean and sterilise everything, then do it again!
Sit your fermenter on a tray or a towel as well, they can bubble over and make a mess.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Funnily enough, I'm trying wine for the first time. I've done lager 20 odd years ago but trying to go slow on the vino this time for best results. I'll be following this with interest as I'm thinking about trying lager again.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:Funnily enough, I'm trying wine for the first time. I've done lager 20 odd years ago but trying to go slow on the vino this time for best results. I'll be following this with interest as I'm thinking about trying lager again.
The kits are SO much better now.I have a glass of Magnum ( a brand) Cabernet here right now.The secret with that is to ( as with beer) brew it out at a steady temperature.I use the front room by the side of the sofa! Which is a steady 18 degrees c most time.NEVER brew at really high temperature, the end result is foul!

I find that four weeks is bang on.With wine,add the stabilisers and finings as per instruction, and rack it off into another barrel for at least a week in a cooler temperature.Then bottle.The results are worth the wait.

Regarding lager ( if you must drink it! My wife does :( ) then the Coopers Australian is good.They are an Aussie company.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
Deeps wrote:Funnily enough, I'm trying wine for the first time. I've done lager 20 odd years ago but trying to go slow on the vino this time for best results. I'll be following this with interest as I'm thinking about trying lager again.
The kits are SO much better now.I have a glass of Magnum ( a brand) Cabernet here right now.The secret with that is to ( as with beer) brew it out at a steady temperature.I use the front room by the side of the sofa! Which is a steady 18 degrees c most time.NEVER brew at really high temperature, the end result is foul!

I find that four weeks is bang on.With wine,add the stabilisers and finings as per instruction, and rack it off into another barrel for at least a week in a cooler temperature.Then bottle.The results are worth the wait.

Regarding lager ( if you must drink it! My wife does :( ) then the Coopers Australian is good.They are an Aussie company.
Cheers amigo, we're pretty close to decanting it, I've been gently 'oscillating' it to try and get as many 'bubbles' out of it as I can, I'll try putting it somewhere cooler, what kind of cooler temp do you reckon works ?
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

I love wine. Red wine to be exact.
Recommend a Virgin Wines subscription. £25 per month and they'll send a selection of different wines to try every quarter.
If you do £50 then I guess you can legitimately save the other box for your prepping provisions. After all, we will all need a little enjoyment for when SHTF lol
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:
jansman wrote:

Cheers amigo, we're pretty close to decanting it, I've been gently 'oscillating' it to try and get as many 'bubbles' out of it as I can, I'll try putting it somewhere cooler, what kind of cooler temp do you reckon works ?
When you add the stabiliser,stir well.add the first finings,stir well but gently.same with the second.When yourack it,stir it well.Then leave in a cool place.I use the stone floor of the pantry.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: The kits are SO much better now.I have a glass of Magnum ( a brand) Cabernet here right now.The secret with that is to ( as with beer) brew it out at a steady temperature.I use the front room by the side of the sofa! Which is a steady 18 degrees c most time.NEVER brew at really high temperature, the end result is foul!

Cheers amigo, we're pretty close to decanting it, I've been gently 'oscillating' it to try and get as many 'bubbles' out of it as I can, I'll try putting it somewhere cooler, what kind of cooler temp do you reckon works ?[/quote]
When you add the stabiliser,stir well.add the first finings,stir well but gently.same with the second.When yourack it,stir it well.Then leave in a cool place.I use the stone floor of the pantry.[/quote]

Muchos gracias senor, I'll try the garage, its integral to the house but cooler. After being in a mad rush as a young man (ask my ex wife :o ) I'm taking my time with this so happy to give it all the time it needs, if its crap we'll use it in cooking.
mightymayesy wrote:I love wine. Red wine to be exact.
Recommend a Virgin Wines subscription. £25 per month and they'll send a selection of different wines to try every quarter.
If you do £50 then I guess you can legitimately save the other box for your prepping provisions. After all, we will all need a little enjoyment for when SHTF lol
I'm not a fan of the wine clubs, I'm not that keen on Costco's either, I've found I can buy 'acceptable' wine cheaper. I've been on the Asda boxes of Aussie Shiraz for a few years now, would I drink it if I won the lottery, probably not but I used to drink more expensive stuff and we all find a level that works for us. I've got my 'good gear' and every now and then I break out a bottle but usually as a first bottle, after that, meh, it doesn't seem quite so important. :D