The Future of Food (in UK)

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
katilea

Re: The Future of Food (in UK)

Post by katilea »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Katilea, to answer one question in your post, (not looked at the site you're referring to so can't tackle anything else) brown rice doesn't last as long as white rice as the oils in the husk go rancid, with white rice the husk is stripped off so you get longer life at the cost of fibre and some calories, (makes it taste a lot nicer too, not a fan of brown rice, the only time I've eaten it by choice is when I used to run marathons, without being crude, it helped me have a good clear out so that I didn't need to go on route!)
oh.. didn't relaise that.I have tried brown rice but just don't like it. I do try and eat wholemeal bread though. Though I have to say a sausage sandwich doesn't taste quite the same in brown bread or if its Quorn sausage rather than Richmonds irish sausages! Neither does bacon butties! :D
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

The post on scrimpers was done as we are self-employed small time farmers, most of those still doing what we do are doing it part time or wife or hubbie works at a "real" job - ie. one that pays money! For some time we haven't made a living at it so much as an existence and it's getting worse. Now i can hear those saying well don't moan, give up and get a job, not so easy as we're nearer to retiring age than not and haven't worked for anyone else,ever, I suspect we'd be regarded as unemployable. This is a choice we've made so we must live with it. Having said that we still feel the injustice of having to pay what is demanded of us when we buy feed, fertiliser, meds etc. but have to take what is offered when we sell our produce. If we refuse we're left with animals we can't afford to keep and the supermarkets buy from abroad.

The irony of it Katilea is that we produce the lamb but can not always afford to eat it ourselves, if we have an injured but healthy lamb that will go in the freezer.

I fear for this country as most of the general population don't understand farming, takes us all our time and we're in it ! The future of food production in this country is not a rosy one as already mentioned, profits are not in it and the farmers are largely old - or ancient!

A trip to the supermarket leaves me totally confused as to where the pricing comes from. Not from those out in all weathers working 7 days a week and then having to come and keep complicated records and fill endless forms. At least if the Shtf, we'll just eat our own , until the hoards steal them of course. :evil:
shocker

Post by shocker »

As someone else involved in small scale meatstock farming, I concur with the above post heartily.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
katilea

Post by katilea »

izzy_mack wrote:The post on scrimpers was done as we are self-employed small time farmers, most of those still doing what we do are doing it part time or wife or hubbie works at a "real" job - ie. one that pays money! For some time we haven't made a living at it so much as an existence and it's getting worse. Now i can hear those saying well don't moan, give up and get a job, not so easy as we're nearer to retiring age than not and haven't worked for anyone else,ever, I suspect we'd be regarded as unemployable. This is a choice we've made so we must live with it. Having said that we still feel the injustice of having to pay what is demanded of us when we buy feed, fertiliser, meds etc. but have to take what is offered when we sell our produce. If we refuse we're left with animals we can't afford to keep and the supermarkets buy from abroad.

The irony of it Katilea is that we produce the lamb but can not always afford to eat it ourselves, if we have an injured but healthy lamb that will go in the freezer.

I fear for this country as most of the general population don't understand farming, takes us all our time and we're in it ! The future of food production in this country is not a rosy one as already mentioned, profits are not in it and the farmers are largely old - or ancient!

A trip to the supermarket leaves me totally confused as to where the pricing comes from. Not from those out in all weathers working 7 days a week and then having to come and keep complicated records and fill endless forms. At least if the Shtf, we'll just eat our own , until the hoards steal them of course. :evil:
It's a shame as surely it would be good for UK being an Island nation to have a thriving farming community in every area providing the basic meat, milk and eggs etc or vegetable and crop growing, and the fishing industry too in the waters around us, surely there'd be very little we needed to import then? (other than exotic fruits that maybe couldn't grow here?) The Govt should be encouraging food based businesses with grants etc to feed our nation.