Preserving Eggs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Pete_59

Preserving Eggs

Post by Pete_59 »

I've been randomly searching the web for different ways to preserve various foodstuffs and found this http://www.cooksinfo.com/preserving-eggs which I found quite interesting as I remember my mum talking about using waterglass during WW2.
shocker

Re: Preserving Eggs

Post by shocker »

Funny old world, my old mum was on about eggs in isinglass only last week. She referred to them as "grim"...
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I thought coating uncooked eggs in vaseline was the way to do it. Last for years so I hear. Not the sort of thing I'd want to risk in any way though so I wouldn't do this unless I'd researched it thoroughly.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I can remember having a bucket of eggs in waterglass in the scullery, just! Our fridge was a negative TARDIS, massive on the outside and tiny inside, so spce was at a premium and we had Chickens, so mum would lay the eggs down in waterglass for the winter. After the first month or two the whites became runnier and runnier and by month 6 there was barely any shall left on the egg it dissolved into the isinglass. The first three months or so they were OK for omlettes, scrambled and cooking, after that your mum was right...grim. They barely made a decent cake.

This might be of interest.

http://www.museumsincornwall.org.uk/Pre ... seum-News/
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
shocker

Post by shocker »

Brambles wrote:I can remember having a bucket of eggs in waterglass in the scullery, just! Our fridge was a negative TARDIS, massive on the outside and tiny inside, so spce was at a premium and we had Chickens, so mum would lay the eggs down in waterglass for the winter. After the first month or two the whites became runnier and runnier and by month 6 there was barely any shall left on the egg it dissolved into the isinglass. The first three months or so they were OK for omlettes, scrambled and cooking, after that your mum was right...grim. They barely made a decent cake.

Thanks Bram, I shall tell my mum about this conversation when I speak to her tomorrow, it will cheer her up a treat

...and Im always keen on museums. I can bore for Team GB on history :D :D

"Our fridge was a negative TARDIS, massive on the outside and tiny inside, so spce was at a premium"

this is classic, I barked with laughter :D ...all the more as there was so little space you had to leave out the "a" ! We should get you on "just a minute" ! ;)
shocker

Post by shocker »

A slight veer off topic,

Its a US site that tries to sell every you things every 2 minutes but theres some interesting powdered egg info

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/ho ... d-eggs.htm
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

International Egg do a decent dried egg. I can happily eat an omelette and scrambled egg made from it. I use it a lot camping and for making ready to go mixes.
Dried egg has come a long way.

http://www.internationalegg.co.uk/bakin ... owder.html
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:I can remember having a bucket of eggs in waterglass in the scullery, just! Our fridge was a negative TARDIS, massive on the outside and tiny inside, so spce was at a premium and we had Chickens, so mum would lay the eggs down in waterglass for the winter. After the first month or two the whites became runnier and runnier and by month 6 there was barely any shall left on the egg it dissolved into the isinglass. The first three months or so they were OK for omlettes, scrambled and cooking, after that your mum was right...grim. They barely made a decent cake.

I hope they didn't hurt on the way out. :shock:

I'm quite interested in this thread, I've not tried dehydrating eggs yet due to the reputation of, well, dehydrated eggs but its something I'd be up for, even if it was just scrambled or for omelettes.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:

I hope they didn't hurt on the way out. :shock:

I'm quite interested in this thread, I've not tried dehydrating eggs yet due to the reputation of, well, dehydrated eggs but its something I'd be up for, even if it was just scrambled or for omelettes.
I have a packet open atm, I'll put 1/2 a dozen equivalent in the post for you to try. But honest they taste like egg!

I know people dry eggs in their dehydrator, but I'm a bit leery. It's a step too far in home preserving for me.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Dried eggs?

It's the poor chickens I feel sorry for.

I do remember reading a long article discussing one smallholder's attempts to preserve eggs. The basic principle is to prevent air getting to the egg, hence isinglass, water etc. The method he finally settled on was varnishing the eggs entirely, letting them dry on a sheet of newspaper, and then storing in a cool, dark place. The newspaper was necessary so that the varnish could penetrate and so leave an unbroken seal.

Hi did recommend cracking them separately into a bowl when using though, as a chance to catch any rotten ones.