Preserving Eggs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: Preserving Eggs

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I've just been to our newly opened Waitrose and their Essentials range are selling 6 eggs for £1, not too bad.
Not too bloody good either :lol: get yourself to Aldis or Lidls you'll get 4 more large for less than that, and for 19-25P more you'd get 15 of their essential ones ;)
I know (sobs) .... but the train fare balances it out - I can't carry enough to make it worthwhile, though I plan to be able to in summer. Energy levels are tricky too ... plus, I hate to say it, but I've seen waitrose production values in action (in their orchards, admittedly, not their henhouses) and I trust them.

The other people that do the same deal is the local agricultural college - and *those* hens live the life of riley, puttering about under some apple trees, their every whim catered to by dozens of students :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote:
jansman wrote:Ready pickled, a quid is good.Posh farmshop deli where I was a butcher for awhile did them for £3!
Oops I thought we were talking fresh yes if we're talking pickled that's pretty good, We make our own from the Cheapies and a local pickling vinegar "Edes" non brewed condiment, non of that nasty malt taste.
My mistake ( I think) :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:
Plymtom wrote:
jansman wrote:Ready pickled, a quid is good.Posh farmshop deli where I was a butcher for awhile did them for £3!
Oops I thought we were talking fresh yes if we're talking pickled that's pretty good, We make our own from the Cheapies and a local pickling vinegar "Edes" non brewed condiment, non of that nasty malt taste.
My mistake ( I think) :lol:

Perhaps but a fair observation ;) Pickled eggs are one of those things that it's mad not to DIY if you're into it, I stopped making them for a while because they were disappearing too fast, last time I got a bit of shell under my finger nail, no real damage but sore as hell for a day or too :oops:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you like them,and I do,you are right Plymtom.In fact I need to move my lazy &rise and do some!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Something I've never done is pickle eggs. I remember my Dad used to have one every chippie night but they never appealed. Maybe I should put on my big girl panties and have a go :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Used to do pickled eggs and onions regularly, just stopped one year. Like others, I might start again. :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I dug out my pickling jars and found the wire lever closures for the lids had almost rusted through. Beyond even my cheapskate, made do and mend standards...so I had to bin them. :(

However, on the upside, either Aldi or Lidl have a deal on some soon (or even now) so they can be replaced and sweet, honey pickling can resume :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Keep the jars and make oil candles oujt of them ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:I dug out my pickling jars and found the wire lever closures for the lids had almost rusted through. Beyond even my cheapskate, made do and mend standards...so I had to bin them. :(

However, on the upside, either Aldi or Lidl have a deal on some soon (or even now) so they can be replaced and sweet, honey pickling can resume :D
They are in my local Aldi now.

If you have a home bargains nearby they sell knock-off kilner jars with a two piece lid. 50p for a 500ml and 99p for a 1L. I wouldn't trust them for canning or bottling, but for jams, chutneys, pickles, and storage they'd be the bits.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
redskies

Post by redskies »

I've (finally!) found the link for the dehydrated eggs. Since I've already got some jerky in and am cooking down stock to make powder, I've thrown in a couple of beaten eggs on a parchment paper tray, will let you know how they go

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/ho ... d-eggs.htm