Preserving Eggs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Preserving Eggs

Post by jansman »

Bit late to the party,but I have been away.That means a surplus of eggs! I pickle them ( love em!). Not to everyone's liking ,but here's a link.

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/recipes/pickled-eggs

The beauty of this preservation method is its simplicity.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Ooh, love a pickled egg, me! Especially in a bag of crisps! I pickle them with honey in the vinegar - it helps the preservation and mellows the acid taste. The trick is to cool the hardboiled eggs fast to stop the yolks getting a grey tinge.

If they are not too acid tasting they can be used in things like devilled eggs quite nicely.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
jansman

Post by jansman »

LIKE^^

Robert Frost.

Me.
redskies

Post by redskies »

It's possible to dehydrate eggs, 'wet' or 'dry'.

Can't find the link atm, but basically, you can either cook scrambled eggs 'dry' - no butter or other oils - then spread out and dehydrate them.

Or you can beat the eggs, then put them into the dehydrator like that, no cooking, and dehydrate them.

Allegedly, the second method is the best taste and texture wise. I'll let you know when I try it out :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

redskies wrote:It's possible to dehydrate eggs, 'wet' or 'dry'.

Can't find the link atm, but basically, you can either cook scrambled eggs 'dry' - no butter or other oils - then spread out and dehydrate them.

Or you can beat the eggs, then put them into the dehydrator like that, no cooking, and dehydrate them.

Allegedly, the second method is the best taste and texture wise. I'll let you know when I try it out :)
That sounds like a good way to do it, looking forward to your feedback.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote:Bit late to the party,but I have been away.That means a surplus of eggs! I pickle them ( love em!). Not to everyone's liking ,but here's a link.

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/recipes/pickled-eggs

The beauty of this preservation method is its simplicity.
Love 'em myself too. We had some pickled and my wife had put the jar in the fridge. No I don't really know why either but that's another story. However , the fridge went wrong and they ended up freezing solid . Thawed them out but after they were like little rubber balls where the rubber had started to delaminate , horrible texture and taste wasn't great either so they got binned.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Interesting! I don't think I'll go the isinglass route, or dehydrate my own eggs, but I'd certainly learn to *pickle* eggs.

Shocker do you have a recipe for pickling with honey added, or do you just go for it?

I've been reading the website dehydrate2store while I've been away, in her FAQs the woman recommends not dehydrating your own eggs, cheese or milk, and only dehydrating meat if its also frozen, I think.

I've just been to our newly opened Waitrose :mrgreen: and their Essentials range are selling 6 eggs for £1, not too bad.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Arzosah wrote:I've just been to our newly opened Waitrose and their Essentials range are selling 6 eggs for £1, not too bad.
Not too bloody good either :lol: get yourself to Aldis or Lidls you'll get 4 more large for less than that, and for 19-25P more you'd get 15 of their essential ones ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ready pickled, a quid is good.Posh farmshop deli where I was a butcher for awhile did them for £3!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:Ready pickled, a quid is good.Posh farmshop deli where I was a butcher for awhile did them for £3!
Oops I thought we were talking fresh yes if we're talking pickled that's pretty good, We make our own from the Cheapies and a local pickling vinegar "Edes" non brewed condiment, non of that nasty malt taste.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.