Eating out of date food.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
shocker

Re: Eating out of date food.

Post by shocker »

This gets roasted in the comments though, doesnt it ? People get pretty worked up behind a keyboard...I know I do at times ! ;) :oops:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Not sure how many non horsey people know this but you can buy sacks of horse carrots which are the rejects from the supermarkets, it only used to be a couple of pounds a sack.
Our local feed merchants and riding school used to have them.
Supposedly not sold for human consumption but we always used to eat them with no obvious effects.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

We fell foul of the "use by" thing last week... chicken and bacon pate many things have a use within "X" days of opening and before the use by date note upon them, it's easy enough to overlook, but the price you pay can be high in TP alone. You may get away with it sometimes but every now and again if you take the occasional risk you pay dearly. I once went to the fridge and made myself a ham sandwich learning soon after that it was in fact raw gammon, I got away with it, years later I mentioned it to the doctor when my wife had just poisoned herself with out of date mayo which wouldn't clear until she stopped eating at all for 24 hours straight, he said there's so much preservative used in the curing process that the bacteria levels were very low in the gammon, but don't risk it again ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Plymtom wrote: I once went to the fridge and made myself a ham sandwich learning soon after that it was in fact raw gammon
My wife once did this, making us some sandwiches with ham cut from a joint. I thought the texture was a bit strange so went to check the use by date. Right next to it were the 'Cooking Instructions' :roll:

I don't remind her of it...... often.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

preparedsurrey wrote:Not sure how many non horsey people know this but you can buy sacks of horse carrots which are the rejects from the supermarkets, it only used to be a couple of pounds a sack.
Our local feed merchants and riding school used to have them.
Supposedly not sold for human consumption but we always used to eat them with no obvious effects.
I didn't know this. It makes sense that the rejected carrots go somewhere, I just never thought where. I'll be keeping an eye out at feed stores. Cheers.
whenfires wrote:
Plymtom wrote: I once went to the fridge and made myself a ham sandwich learning soon after that it was in fact raw gammon
My wife once did this, making us some sandwiches with ham cut from a joint. I thought the texture was a bit strange so went to check the use by date. Right next to it were the 'Cooking Instructions' :roll:

I don't remind her of it...... often.
She will make you pay if\when you make as big a mistake as that :D

All this talk of raw meat makes me think of my guilty pleasure.
Smoked bacon, raw, straight from the pack. Eaten it for years, just have to be out of sight of the missus.

We are currently eating cheddar cheese that is over 6 months out of date. We were given a catering sized pack, and cut off smaller more manageable bits as and when we need them. You just have to ensure you re-wrap the original pack really well to keep out as much oxygen as possible.
We've only had to trim a few furry bits off, no problem.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
shocker

Post by shocker »

Good on you, Brit. If one is sensible with cheese, it lasts.

Its often forgotten that the main reason cheese exists at all, is that it is a way of preserving milk in a time of plenty, for times of sparcity.

And its not just carrots that can be had from Farmers supply/feed mill type places, swede shows up too and that keeps lovely in a cool,dry, dark place, sat so they are not touching. Parsnips as well, occasionally.
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

Brambles wrote:
Bearded Prepper wrote:On that front has anyone seen a site that lists these dates as estimates?
I keep this link in my favourites :) http://www.stilltasty.com/
thanks for that, I've just had a look and expect I'll refer to it again - I'd noticed frozen salmon not lasting anything like as long as other frozen fish, so it's good to have that corroborated.
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

Last night I found some unopened Brie that was hiding in the back of the fridge, It was a week out of date.
It was a little runnier than usuall and gave me some freaky dreams but apart from that all good.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Frankly, I don't think that cheese is edible until after the BBE.... I like to be able to taste it ;)

Bacon is supposed to last until next pig-killing time, the modern stuff is far too wet for that though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thats right, mate. But traditionally made, dry bacon is SO damn salty that it needs to be soaked a couple of times before use. The first batch that I made, years back when I first had pigs, was so salty it was inedible. Except by my old dad who said it reminded him of wartime bacon.

I followed the recipe in Fernly-Whittingstalls excellent big Meat book. I saw him the next year at the CLA Game Fair, doing a demo for channel 4 (I later found out) so I gave him a right earful. Very loudly. :oops: :oops: Some editing and a re-take were needed.