Where to buy long term storage foods

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Foxypreps

Where to buy long term storage foods

Post by Foxypreps »

Please pardon me, I looked around here, but couldn't fine advice for this.

I'd like to buy at least six months long term storage foods for the family to stand behind the normal one year or so rotation and garden that feeds us day by day. BUT... brands such as Mountain House are insanely expensive. It doesn't help that I just googled their scrambled eggs and bacon tin, found it in US for $41, and here it's selling for £108. That's crackers, extortionate, well I don't know but there is no way I can pay like that.

So... the question is, what brands for LTS, and where can they be found at something more sensibly priced?? Or do they simply not exist here?

Thanks!
Panther

Re: Where to buy long term storage foods

Post by Panther »

Don't forget most ordinary tinned food or dried food in packets will keep for many years. Ignore the "Best before" dates, they are a misleading guide to trick you into throwing that old can away and buying a new one when you don't really need to. As long as the packet has been kept dry or the can has been kept at a moderate temperature (ideally 40˚- 65˚F), has no signs of rust and hasn't blown, the food inside should be fine in several years time.
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Have a look at this Church of the LDS link for food that lasts and estimated times.
https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage ... g&old=true
There's actually quite a lot of non religious useful information around on their website.
Thanks to whoever it was on here originally posted this up.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I didn't post the LDS website but I did put up a link to a PDF of their preparedness manual.

Here's a link to the topic. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13320&p=147158&hil ... al#p147158

Mountain house is a handy and easy way of doing it, but it will cost.
I also find that eating freeze dried stuff gets rather tiresome after a while, I used to take it hiking all the time but now I dehydrate my own and put in some normal food as well, mountain house is lighter but sometimes I need a change of texture.
My food storage at home is mostly normal food, either canned, dried or sealed up in various ways, for last ditch emergency when everything else is gone I have liferaft rations, they don't take up too much room and they last for ages. Wouldn't want to be relying on them although they're not bad, it would be pretty dull though.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Have a bit of a search on "best before dates"...we had a discussion about that and canned foods recently
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***