Compact veg garden

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Re: Compact veg garden

Post by grenfell »

I've just put up two sections of guttering in a greenhouse. No not been at the home brew , it's a space saving idea. Clearing a site recently I came across a length of deep plastic guttering which I've cut in half , cut some timber to block of the ends and fixed them on the inside of the greenhouse opposite the side that faces the sun at four to five feet high. I've filled them with compost and put some lettuce in and will probably add something else like radishs . Below them are cucumbers taking up the floor space so the "salad gutters" should be increasing output from the same space.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

grenfell wrote:I've just put up two sections of guttering in a greenhouse. No not been at the home brew , it's a space saving idea. Clearing a site recently I came across a length of deep plastic guttering which I've cut in half , cut some timber to block of the ends and fixed them on the inside of the greenhouse opposite the side that faces the sun at four to five feet high. I've filled them with compost and put some lettuce in and will probably add something else like radishs . Below them are cucumbers taking up the floor space so the "salad gutters" should be increasing output from the same space.
Makes perfect sense! As part of my shed top veg plot I have an 8m length of soil pipe with 2 inch holes cut in it every 6 inches hanging on the wall (at a slight angle to allow for self-irrigation) for this exact purpose. The pipe was originally going to form part of my hydroponics system that never quite got off the ground, but now is being put to use as a salad bar :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not actually prepping but I've used drainage pipes too as an attempt to grow really large carrots. Pipe is filled with fine sieved soil with watering holes cut all the way down and the theory is to progressively water at a lower point to encourage the carrot downward to grow into a monster length . Well that was the theory and is the method used by those who enter veg shows for the biggest but it never really worked that well for me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20170713_205120752.jpg
IMG_20170713_205109648.jpg
Well all growing well
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

^^LIKE^^ :D Looks good and healthy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Least I finally got the slug and snail community under control

Lettuce seems to be the biggest hit with the little one she's always pulling a leaf off and munching
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Least I finally got the slug and snail community under control
Very impressive plot! Alas I have lost all my late planted carrots to the slimy ones.... :evil: Just one brave little fern of green left but I'm not holding out much hope :cry:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb