Compact veg garden

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

Compact veg garden

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well I've muted the idea to Mrs Andy and she didn't say no.....

So I'm commandeering about 2x2m of the garden getting rid of the old rabbit hutch and run (rabbits kept "going missing" I think it was more stolen than killed by a fox)

So the land should be fertile currently has a mush of rotting bark chippings so plan is

Get rid of hutch and bastard dig it (2 spits deep) and bring in a few sacks of manure and level

give it till early april to bed down and get some window sill plants germinated and sprouted...

well we get through Lots of peppers (but they seem to take up a lot of space vs yeld) might do a couple of tubs (as the little one likes to eat peppers like apples they wont last long but she can help grow them,,,

same with strawberry's

and i will end up fighting with her over peas if i plant them :roll:

thinking of a few rows of carrots, lettuce, radishes, but the spot is rather shaded does get a bit of sun later in the day however... with a couple of tomato plants up the fence

Other issue is mrs andys pond and wet land garden is behind so cant grow any really tall things or she wont be able to see it

any tips greatly received :)

ps im not a total novice parents have a big veg plot but this compact space has got me thinking currently reading up on square foot planting...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Re: Compact veg garden

Post by Brambles »

If you only have a small plot, have a go at square foot gardening. Jansman is your man for the low down. Here's the thread he started about it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11775&hilit=square+foot+gardening
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Can also get some of these hanging grow bags, you can get them all over but these are cheap, I ordered some so I can grow some strawberries off the ground, not used them yet but they certainly feel strong enough.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301870282216
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Cheers Brambles Just got reading on line about square foot then went to download a app and the swines wanted money for a subscription :lol: not a chance ;)

ive got the added advantage that there is a little fence round the area so meshing it off to keep it from been a cat toilet and will be able to lay some fleece over it if needed.....

will get reading.....

think i will start the plants off on the kitchen window sill

sooner i get started the sooner we can enjoy some fresh muddy veg ;)

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Well I've muted the idea to Mrs Andy and she didn't say no.....

So I'm commandeering about 2x2m of the garden getting rid of the old rabbit hutch and run (rabbits kept "going missing" I think it was more stolen than killed by a fox)

So the land should be fertile currently has a mush of rotting bark chippings so plan is

Get rid of hutch and bastard dig it (2 spits deep) and bring in a few sacks of manure and level

give it till early april to bed down and get some window sill plants germinated and sprouted...

well we get through Lots of peppers (but they seem to take up a lot of space vs yeld) might do a couple of tubs (as the little one likes to eat peppers like apples they wont last long but she can help grow them,,,

same with strawberry's

and i will end up fighting with her over peas if i plant them :roll:

thinking of a few rows of carrots, lettuce, radishes, but the spot is rather shaded does get a bit of sun later in the day however... with a couple of tomato plants up the fence

Other issue is mrs andys pond and wet land garden is behind so cant grow any really tall things or she wont be able to see it

any tips greatly received :)

ps im not a total novice parents have a big veg plot but this compact space has got me thinking currently reading up on square foot planting...
I'd be a little miffed if someone was stealing anything from me let alone a living thing like a rabbit. It wouldn't matter if it was supposed to be a pet or food, you have a better attitude to it than I do. Sair pus time if I caught them.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Radishes grow really quick, so here something I do.

I sow them between my tatty rows after I have done the final earthing up. They are grow and harvested long before the tatter leaves completely shade the area. I also do this with some fast growing salad leaves.

I used to sow radishes in the same bags as spuds, back when we grew them in sacks. Harvested just as spuds were poking through.

Growing in such a small area, you could try getting some radishes in early, and as you pick them, sow some fast growing salad leaves.

Edit : Growing carrots in recently manured ground isn't recommended iirc. I believe the carrots fork and grow into weird shapes. Still edible, but could reduce the yield.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
jansman

Post by jansman »

You could do 'square foot' .OR go for sheer yield.2m x2m is enough to do a LOT of beans( runners or French dwarf or climbing.) A row of new spuds and a row of leeks for instance.OR if you have pots,the spuds could go in those,so could salad .

I will see if I can find a link for square foot gardens.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

thanks all

Incidently LIDL have a fair bit of gardening stuff in at the moment :)

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=1086

jansman

Post by jansman »

If its shaded it's not impossible.If you want to do Square Foot Gardening (SFG) it is perfect for a new gardener.You have bastard dug the ground.Good.Do not tread on it,that's the golden rule.

You need to make a grid; roofing laths are good,but you are a practical bloke,you probably have something lying about.The ideal size of that to start is 4' x4'. Or 16 x1' squares.Without this it is not SFG.Each of those squares is effectively a mini garden.Ideally you should have taller plants at the back to eliminate shade on the smaller one like lettuce at the front.The front of your grid then should point toward the greatest chance of sun.

The SFG method says you should have raised beds and a special soil mix.You could,but you work with what you have.
Lay the grid on your levelled soil.You now have 16 mini gardens.what you gonna grow? What you will eat! Not what everyone else grows.You are on virgin soil so nutritionallly it should be fair,but I would use a little Grow more type fertiliser.Read the instructions, dont just lamp it on.

You say there is no chance of vertical gardening.So you could get 4 squares of new spuds at the back,or 8.Then 4 squares of peas,or dwarf beans.Or 8.In front of that a couple of square s of lettuce,or radish,or carrots.Perhaps spring onions.When the spuds and peas are done you could bang in a Brussels plant per square in their place.

Follow the seed packet instructions. You basically divide each grid with you finger into 1,4,9 or 16,so dwarf beans ( for me) would be 4 per square.Carrots or radish 16.Beetroot 9.

Once dug,and the grid laid,there are no special tools other than your hands,a trowel and a pair of scissors.The scissors are for thinning.As you are sowing direct,let's say beetroot,then divide your 1' grid into 9 with your finger.Put 2 seeds per hole ( a finger indentation just deep enough to cover the seeds) cover and let em grow.2 seeds allows for failure of germination.If two come up,you need to thin one out.Use the scissors to snip it off,don't pull it,you don't want to disturb the soil.

Each grid is easy to manage,i.e.water and weed,easy to rotate.There's no digging or raking,you do that with a trowel! You will not be overwhelmed by work or produce ( nobody can eat 22 lettuces in a week!) and it may inspire you ,perhaps, to get an allotment.

Also,if you have not already,start a compost heap.You can make one or buy a neat looking plastic one( your council may even subsidise them).This will do two things.1. Give enough natural fertiliser for your SFG next year and 2. Reduce your household waste by approximately 25%.A good thing when bin collections are getting iffy.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I should have added watering can to that list of tools.A lot of American SFGardeners use a pop bottle with perforated cap to target water at each square,that way young seedlings are not deluged.Also,if you are sowing direct, you eliminate the need for compost,pots trays and all that FAFF!( listen to me? The polytunnel king.)

You can,of course start your own plants ( like Brussels or cabbage for instance),but to start it could be easier for you to buy them in.You cannot beat success.I would cover the area once the grid is down with polythene too.Get it warmed up a bit if you are sowing direct,and April is plenty soon enough to start.Hope that helps.

Robert Frost.

Me.