Compact veg garden

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: Compact veg garden

Post by Deeps »

Britcit wrote:
Deeps wrote: Her Maj has a wee wooden shaper to make them out of newspaper, after the initial outlay its just the cost of the papers.
I never thought of doing that! I sense some googling on the horizon :)
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Think I paid 99p for 60!

If I was doing it myself I'd tap out of plastic pots or yogurt pots but I'm trying to get the little un involved.... But she has inspected the pepper pots about 5 times in 2 hours before bed :lol: think she is expecting about 50 peppers to erupt from the pots ;)

I do that a lot myself once I get seeds in soil. A couple of weeks back I was checking my tomato seeds 2 - 3 times a day. Pacing like an expectant father :D I'm always the same with the first seeds of the year. The shine soon wears off though.
A quick look shows this which is very similar to her's. I'm sure you can get them cheaper.

http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/pl ... -kits.html
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Good news, hope it goes well.

I don't know what the rest of your garden is like, but don't discount interspersing food crops in the borders. Bright Lights swiss chard is very decorative and very easy to grow, if you like spinachy-type leaves (great cooked with curry spices, a few tomatoes and a spoon of peanut butter). Climbing french beans can look lovely up the back of a flower bed. Dahlia tubers can be eaten. Potatoes can be successfully grown in containers, even in supermarket bags-for-life if funds are short (don't look very classy though). And a stand of autumn raspberries at the back of a bed will give you desserts from July to October for a minimum of money and time.

Enjoy!
jansman

Post by jansman »

I grow new spuds in compost sacks,as they have a black inner ( excludes light and stops em going green) Double bin bags do the same.Works well.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy,here's the link to a useful site .

http://www.container-gardening-for-food.com/index.html

Robert Frost.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

If anyones down my way and wants any heavy polythene feed sacks for free give me a shout - there are thousands at the farm waiting for a new home. You can have as many as you want but theres a MOQ of 100 ;)

edit- theres a peugeot 306 HDI for free too, dont know if it will start...maybe someone could tow it away full of sacks then use the car as a solar dehydrator :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And we are off ;)

Got rough lath square foot markings glued and screwed together.. Got:

Peppers, tomato's, sprouts & chilli seeds potted and on the go on the window sill,

Got direct planted
2 lots of carrots (2x16)
1 lot of reddish planted (1x16)
3 lots of Stuttgart onions going (3x 9)

Got some lettuce seeds / mixed salad leaves, to get going but the dark beat me to it

Need to get some dwarf bean seeds and some peas... And sweet corn

Massive production isn't what I'm aiming for straight off... It gives me something to entertain the 6yo with and give her something to "pinch" out of the garden once summer comes hence the peas ;) that and she loves corn and sprouts

Need to pick up some fleece to keep the frost off on my way home one night this week there is currently some thin clear polythene over at the moment
IMG_20170308_185622837.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well done.You say that massive production is not what you are after, but it will give you what you can handle.From growing nothing at all,that IS massive production. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just had a count up I've got 24 x 1ft squares and a bit extra due to shape of the bed left back against fence a bit over a ft so can put tomatoes there (growbag width but thinking 3 x plants in buckets ( with over half the bottom cut out (with a tank cutter) to give height to reduce shading on the 2nd row. (Way my grandad used to do it)

Got money maker potted and these in the post:

And if you go here

http://www.heinzgrowyourown.co.uk

Free tomato seeds (do first thing in morning as they are limiting them to so many a day)

I've potted too many but this is intentional on 2 fronts if some don't grow / take I've got back ups. If all take there's some tradable plants.... There's allotments at top of the road and old chap regularly exchanges "rubbish / scrap" for a Carrier bag of produce and eggs :-)

Old metal frame from swing = free standing runner bean frame bits of wood / mesh = repairs to chicken coup

Old boy network / I've got something you want etc can't beat it ;)
IMG_20170308_220102359.jpg
That's what I've picked up between lidl and pound stretcher

Think the most expensive "seeds" were the onion sets at £1 for 50 a couple were sprouting so fingers crossed for them go get their feet down quick

Starting at 39p per Pk in poundstrecher and lidl have several offers on depending on pack size

Quick costing has been about £12:

£5 of that been the propergator

£1 on compost

£1 on pots

And seeds

Already had the "tools".

Will need slug control and some bio insecticide no doubt before too long no doubt (this area is a mecca for slugs and snails )

Beer traps are OK but slate and slug pellets may well be needed to reduce numbers or might try nematodes
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Slug pellets! Use sparingly and they are effective.Beer traps and all that DO work,but not efficiently.

Robert Frost.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Slugs: copper tape or a regular smear of vaseline around the sides of a pot or planter will slow them down. Salt would be ideal if you could find a way of containing it and keeping it dry.

Slug pellets are largely the reason we dont see thrushes around these days, or so Im told. There is some kind of non toxic, anti slug sprinkle on product, mica maybe, but it needs regular renewal. Like every time it rains, or after you water. But I suppose you could say the same as
Last edited by shocker on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***