Dehydrator recommendation.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Jamesey1981

Re: Dehydrator recommendation.

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Replacing a knackered part in it will be easy enough if you can find the replacement, it'll only get more complicated if you want to add the temperature control, which is beyond my skill to be honest, but I would still say to give it a clean out and see if that works, it will suck in a lot of dust as it runs and that will build up over time.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I second Jamesy on that
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

My Dad was Fleet Air Arm, his first rule with 'lectrics was
"Bright, Tight and Clean"
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Bang! Birthday yesterday, and wifey got me a dehydrator that I had been dropping hints at. Straight off to Sainsburys and a pound of silverside was soon sliced, marinated and drying overnight. First nibbles this morning tasted pretty good.

Did a Cajun version and a Teriyaki version from a 'dehydrating bible' book that she bought to go with it - tried both - they looked different but tasted pretty much the same. Still good, but not as different as I would have imagined.

Its a 4 shelf round thing - the 1 pound of meat made about 60 bits of jerky, and took up just over 2 trays, so I can get 2 pounds of meat done at a time.

Wifey is also keen to do dried fruit twist things (berry and apple combined chewy twist things).

yum
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jaffab wrote:Bang! Birthday yesterday, and wifey got me a dehydrator that I had been dropping hints at. Straight off to Sainsburys and a pound of silverside was soon sliced, marinated and drying overnight. First nibbles this morning tasted pretty good.

Did a Cajun version and a Teriyaki version from a 'dehydrating bible' book that she bought to go with it - tried both - they looked different but tasted pretty much the same. Still good, but not as different as I would have imagined.

Its a 4 shelf round thing - the 1 pound of meat made about 60 bits of jerky, and took up just over 2 trays, so I can get 2 pounds of meat done at a time.

Wifey is also keen to do dried fruit twist things (berry and apple combined chewy twist things).

yum
It gets addictive. :mrgreen:

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

My new Excalibur got a workout at the weekend. It's amazing! :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

So after a successful trial of Jerky creation, I decided to try my hand at making fruit 'leathers' - TOTAL FAIL!
I was not sure what to use to hold the mixture - the books talk about parchment - so I went with grease proof paper with the mixture poured onto it directly - and after 8 hours, I just ended up with concrete with a paper backing - the leather would not peel away from the paper.

Any advice on making fruit leathers - what paper of separator do you use. The wife has suggested trying again with a silicone mat on top of the plastic dehydrator shelf mesh - any other (simpler) thoughts?
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I use parchment paper, it will also get crunchy if you dry it too much, if that happens then leave it for a few hours in the dehydrator with it switched off and the moisture from the air will wet it a little and then it will bend, and as long as it'll bend then the paper comes off.
Getting it as even as possible is important too.

Make sure you use silicon paper, quite often it's labelled as baking parchment or paper, it's usually whitish, brown greaseproof will stick, it needs to be greased to be non stick and it won't work for this kind of stuff.

This is what I use:
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

The Excalibur has optional extra sheets for doing fruit leathers I only did it once and it worked OK, you can also dehydrate eggs then powder them in a processor but with the excalibur sheets you have to make a shallow bowl by folding up the edges and putting small bulldog clips on, it's a bit dodgy but it works, they then store for 2-3 years, I bought some mason jars to vac seal them in.... not got around to it yet :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmNAksFexI There's loads on there, DIY powdered eggs who'd have thunk it?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I have always used baking parchment, NOT greaseproof paper. You still have to be a bit careful pulling off the leather and it's also useful when drying small stuff to prevent it falling through the trays.

Some people also use oven liner like this and cut it to fit.
http://www.appliancespareswarehouse.co. ... 0wodqnIIrg
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon