Food Prices

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: Food Prices

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:I am having to try and work on a wheelchair friendly growing space as Im no longer able to till the ground. Luckily we have the only garden on our row and half of its paved so its pallets, hammer and nails and some raised planters as the way forward. That and some old feed sacks for potatos.

Oh, and with the (non mainstream) news about the fukashima leaks and all the dolphin deaths (reached cornwall and devon now) we will be staying away from any pacific sourced fish. Last Aldi visit I saw that the fish fingers were alaskan pollock so they stayed in the shop.

The dehydrator thing is looking more and more like a good idea for us, any advice on budget start up ?
Contact your local pallet company and ask if they have any pallet collars like these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25275772 ... 426&crdt=0

They are perfect for raised bed gardening and you can stack them if you want deeper beds. I had a great garden made from these, the big bonus is you don't have to cut or nail them together. Oh and if you go to your local supermarket instore bakery and ask for some flour sacks, they make great liners.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks Brambles, that will be a much easier solution :D ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:I am having to try and work on a wheelchair friendly growing space as Im no longer able to till the ground. Luckily we have the only garden on our row and half of its paved so its pallets, hammer and nails and some raised planters as the way forward. That and some old feed sacks for potatos.

Oh, and with the (non mainstream) news about the fukashima leaks and all the dolphin deaths (reached cornwall and devon now) we will be staying away from any pacific sourced fish. Last Aldi visit I saw that the fish fingers were alaskan pollock so they stayed in the shop.

The dehydrator thing is looking more and more like a good idea for us, any advice on budget start up ?
You can pick them up for 20 odd quid online but I've no idea how good they are. I've only had one so I've no idea how good it is compared to others but have a look on the threads, there's loads of tips. I've been making dehydrated meals to take hill walking, the commercial ones are a bloody rip off. As with most things there's loads of stuff online, this might be a good place to start.

http://www.ukjuicers.com/info/choosing- ... AlAu8P8HAQ

I'm not pushing them as a seller, I've not used them but here's a dit on the basics. I've enjoyed the whole process much more than I thought I would.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Nice one deeps, rescued by the Senior Service again ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Nice one deeps, rescued by the Senior Service again ;)
A pleasure mate, and while I mind, youtube is really useful, just type in 'dehydrating food' or 'dehydrating onions' or whatever, there's some great stuff and seeing someone else do it gives you that bit of confidence that you're doing it right yourself.
katilea

Post by katilea »

Deeps wrote:
jansman wrote:
diamond lil wrote:I get most of my meat in Costco, along with teabags, stock cubes, laundry stuff, and olive oil. Agree Jansman, we never throw food out in this house. Never any leftovers either.
Here's another one.Spuds are cheap - most years.Around here we can get a 25 kg sack from Greg the Farmer up the road for six quid.A few years ago though,after a bad harvest they were eleven Pounds! So instead of peeling em with a knife, use one of those veg peeler thingies that take off a thin layer at a time.Mind you,all our peelings get boiled ,mashed and fed to the fowls and rabbits. Bangs weight on the bunnies in double quick time!
We use a local farm shop too (as well as Aldi that is), Costco for the detergents, bog roll and a few other bits and bobs but I tend to buy whole chickens and 'butcher' myself, that saves a fortune, I can't believe the difference in price between a chicken and chicken 'bits'. :o

I struggle with chopping the whole chickens when raw but got a slow cooker so now I just cook it whole and take it apart when it softens as the meat literally falls off the carcass.Can refreeze once cooked either with the veg it was cooked with or portioned on its own to use in curries or just in sandwiches.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

katilea wrote: I struggle with chopping the whole chickens when raw but got a slow cooker so now I just cook it whole and take it apart when it softens as the meat literally falls off the carcass.Can refreeze once cooked either with the veg it was cooked with or portioned on its own to use in curries or just in sandwiches.

Good tip. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.