Went down the allotment today

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Went down the allotment today

Post by jansman »

Its interesting, the short(er) growing season that Scotland and the Islands have.A real challenge I guess.

Regarding spuds; My Grandad said that chitting potatoes was for folks that had too much time on their hands! :lol: I still put mine straight in the ground.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

So, what spud varieties do you go for?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ForgeCorvus wrote:So, what spud varieties do you go for?
I'm only growing first earlies this year. Sharpes Express and Red Duke of York. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Brambles wrote:
I'm only growing first earlies this year. Sharpes Express and Red Duke of York. :)

Sharpes Express for me as well. I also do really well with Cara, and most years I do plant Shetland Blacks.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rocket,first early. They are great for forcing in pots under cover.We will have new spuds for Whitsun.Then Pentland Javelin outside to come in after the Rocket.Maincrop is Marfona.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

The long hours of daylight make up for the short growing season Jansman. Here it's light until almost 11pm and dawn is at 3.15am. Will be even more light for Britcit up on Shetland.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:The long hours of daylight make up for the short growing season Jansman. Here it's light until almost 11pm and dawn is at 3.15am. Will be even more light for Britcit up on Shetland.
Be good for the fishing!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Sharps express are all in now, 24 this year. Next two weeks should see about 75 Cara's go in. And about a dozen of another type, I can't remember which :roll:
diamond lil wrote:The long hours of daylight make up for the short growing season Jansman. Here it's light until almost 11pm and dawn is at 3.15am. Will be even more light for Britcit up on Shetland.
During the height of summer, it doesn't get dark at all. Great for working in the garden until near midnight. Bad for my sleep (black out curtains are a must this year), and bad for the 2 cockerels in the garden.

They start crowing at about 2 am. :cry:
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I got the onion sets in at the weekend. 4 rows of Turbo a great flavour and stores really well and 1 row of Red Baron. My all-time favourite onion is Snowball, but they don't keep too well :roll: The Brambling is rotavating this week and once that's done I'll plant out the spuds and the Broad Beans I have growing in trays, need to sow the Peas too. The little greenhouse is up now so full steam ahead, It's all go!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Smashing time of year. I love it! The spuds are well through in the tunnel ; on target for Whitsun. Radishes will be ready next week from the tunnel and Spring cabbage is now ready in the Square foot bed. Peas are sprouting in there too - ready to climb!

Great season this. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.