Went down the allotment today

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

Went down the allotment today

Post by PreppingPingu »

I went to my allotment today. The sun was out and tho the air was cold, I could feel the warmth from the sun on my face. I could almost pretend it was spring! Some wotsit has nicked my wheel barrow over the winter but apart from that all is well. I weeded my gravel paths, dug over a patch of ground, (much to the delight of the robins,) and weeded in between the gooseberry and blueberry shrubs and the raspberry canes. Due to an operation last year I missed all the growing season and I didn't do much in the late autumn so my patch was a bit messy and neglected to say the least. It's amazing what 3 hours in the fresh air and a bit of physical work does for the soul! I is a happy lass :) ( though a slightly achy one now its evening!) Looking forward to March and planting the early things. I have a large egg box or two of spuds chitting on my sitting room table almost ready and checked over my packets of root veg seed and bought some new ones ready.

Anyone else been looking at their patches or preparing for the off as soon as the weather warms?
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Brambles

Re: Went down the allotment today

Post by Brambles »

Yep! I was at my plot a few days ago doing the same as you. My plot is pretty tidy, thanks to the previos occupier and I'm at much the same stage as you, spuds chitting in the scullery, seeds all got and Garlic growing in pots to transplant in a few weeks. Onion sets have been purchased so I'm champing at the bit to get going. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Her Maj is a bit behind you girls, she's done the indoor chillies but we're not at the stage for the allotment I'm lead to believe. I'm ready to do my bit when summoned though.

jansman

Post by jansman »

Its all happening.It was nice in the sunshine yesterday.I pricked out a hundred onion plants,same of leeks . I always take a chance on some early tomatoes,and pricked out a dozen Gardeners Delight.I have a heated propogater and heat mat in the greenhouse so this can be achieved.

Nice time of year :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm sitting up here with frozen soil and the weekend snow just melted. Won't be doing anything until May.
shocker

Post by shocker »

The family farm is still under a yard of mud for all that the daffs are coming up...we tried to pull a trailer of pig the other day and after triple heading with 3 tractors and failing we are waiting for drier days or a stiffer frost
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

Don't have a allotment but a largeish garden, been sorting it out over the past few weeks, fruit bushes plated, greenhouse started off..its slighty warmer in wales so season starts earlier.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I have started building raised beds for this year. I was growing on some land owned by a mate, but it got sold and the new owner wants to use it themselves.

So, back to square one and am racing to get the beds ready.

My tatties are chitting in the conservatory. I plant mine a few weeks before most folk here, I just put them in a little deeper. Once any risk of frost has passed, they are usually close to breaking the surface of the soil.

The growing season here is short, but very fast so any headstart helps.

Onion sets arrived today as well :D
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's very interesting Britcit. I might try that this year :mrgreen: What's your frost-free date? Here it's 1st June.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

diamond lil wrote:That's very interesting Britcit. I might try that this year :mrgreen: What's your frost-free date? Here it's 1st June.
April\May time for here. We really don't get the severe frosts that you southerners :lol: get. So, even if it looks like we may get a wee frost and the tatties are close, I just mound them over a little to protect them.

I normally start them about 8 inches deep so there's quite an insulating layer. Mine are all normally in by end of March. Easter weekend is the normal planting time here (at least it is for my neighbours).
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."