Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
berbie

Fray Bentos Pies

Post by berbie »

Are on offer £1.00 in Tes*o now, as good as I remember them as a child
Deeps

Re: Fray Bentos Pies

Post by Deeps »

A lot of the cheap shops have them in at a quid all the time, not all the flavours but that's a 'standard' price. They're good value for a quid but I'd not pay the 2 pound odd price the supermarkets want. I still need to try cooking one in a Dutch oven, I'll wait on the better weather though. 8-)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Love em! Along with tinned peas and Smash it's food of the Gods! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
shocker

Post by shocker »

We always keep a couple of Fray Bentos pies in, dead handy after a long tiring day or comfort food in general. We have also recently rediscovered dried marrowfat peas - luvverly ;)

I cant find Smash in my local supermarkets. Possibly due to the fact that we are in a major potato growing area ? And powdered milk...only Marvel seems to be available, and at an extortionate price. What happened to "FivePints" ? Even own brand marvel type is more expensive than fresh or UHT. Anyone got a good source for dried foods at sensible, everyday prices ?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:We always keep a couple of Fray Bentos pies in, dead handy after a long tiring day or comfort food in general. We have also recently rediscovered dried marrowfat peas - luvverly ;)

I cant find Smash in my local supermarkets. Possibly due to the fact that we are in a major potato growing area ? And powdered milk...only Marvel seems to be available, and at an extortionate price. What happened to "FivePints" ? Even own brand marvel type is more expensive than fresh or UHT. Anyone got a good source for dried foods at sensible, everyday prices ?
Smash can be found in Home Bargains and if you look in the World Foods section of Te*co or Morrisons they sell Nestle Nido whole powdered milk. :D HTH

EDIT. Nido isn't the cheapest but tastes good the cheapest instant mash and dried milk I have found is Sainsbugs Basics. The mash is very nice, the milk is just like the rest.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
shocker

Post by shocker »

not at my local morrisons sadly...and tesco is 30 miles away :(

Back when I lived in bristol there was a chain of shops called Scoopaways - they had big bins of dry groceries that you scooped onto bags and paid by weight. I used to get all my dry goods there including dried veg. But they closed down and only one branch survived as a wholefoods shop with much reduced product line.

...meanwhile, down in S.E Cornwall theres not much choice at affordable prices and the supermarkets have strange stocking policies. When I lived nearer a tesco I found that they would get stuff in if you asked but the distance makes it a financial, well, bugger. And we dont spend enough to get a delivery as we dont like tesco food after getting used to the superior quality of Aldi and Morrisons. We do have an Asda 20 odd miles away but we dont like the Walmart corp and dont like finding chicken from thailand in "made in UK" tinned curry.

But hey! Thanks for the heads up Brambles, I will have a word with customer services at the nearest morrisons
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm pretty sure Aldi do their own version of powdered potato
shocker wrote:down in S.E Cornwall theres not much choice at affordable prices and the supermarkets have strange stocking policies.
I think you may have planted yourself somewhere slightly posh ;) Morrisons location in Plymouth ( and Plymstock ) implies they were aiming a level above everyday value custom ( and they ration their special offers ) fortunately you are close enough to cross the border into Plymouth now and again, there you will find many Large Tesco branches ( though I often find myself saing extra my arse) Asda, Sainsbury, and a liberal splattering of Lidl, for long life stuff like mashed taters and milk powder you could do a bulk run ( they may think you have had a close encounter and want to make your very own Devil's Tower on the dining table) much like a Plymouthian would do a Trago trip, I'll have a good look in Aldi this week, they do have their own logic when it comes to where they put stuff, but they are now my biggest spend of the week, a stones throw from Lidl which I do on the same day, followed the next day by Asda & Tesco also in order of larger spend I can't afford to be too ethical about it all, but admit I keep Tesco down to a minimum because they let me down on stuff I buy all the time, if I can get a reasonable alternative within a penny or two elsewhere, I do, there was a point I thought they were becoming way too big.

I live close to the city center shops too which put Sainsbury and Iceland into the loop, along with two poundlands and a poundworld, a savers, and my favorite shop " pull the trigger " which I admit is very often a social call :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Tom, we got landed here (and you know where!) very much against our choice but it was that or continue living on the road...which was becoming untenable to say the least. Anyway, it was posh...

...until we got here whereupon the tone was lowered considerably ;)

I keep meaning to do a plymouth run, as you say much like a plymtonian doing a trago, but every time I plan it another bill hits the mat and scuppers all plans. What with a rent increase that I wasnt informed of until I got the eviction papers for excessive arrears (they still cannot tell me when the date of the increase was) and an increased council and bedroom tax, all we manage is a two weekly Aldi and (for a couple of items) Morrissons shop. I try to add a few extra items to each shop to go in stores and in a few months have built up a fair head of emergency rations.

My next project is somewhere to put it all ! But we are currently too ill to manage even that. :cry:

one bright spot is the fact that I visit my old folks a couple of times a week. They live on the remains of our farm on the edge of the (bodmin) moor and the most direct route takes me right past...you got it...Trago Mills :)

Maybe sometime we could work out a reciprocal shopping routine- you do the plymouth stuff when you are there and I do the trago. And meet somewhere in the middle?? Just a thought for the future mate.

More broadly, for ALL on the forum, could we not get together and do some kind of group buy on some wholesale staples like dried milk, veg, fruit, beans and pulses ? Surely we could get a wholesale deal somewhere and have a regional hub combined with a meet up to distribute ?
Has this been tried before on this forum ? If so I havnt come across it. I know it requires commitment and risky outlay, but hey ! We are talking survival here.

Any positive thoughts on this? I think we can all see the downsides and problems so lets hear some upbeat input, if any available
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:Maybe sometime we could work out a reciprocal shopping routine- you do the plymouth stuff when you are there and I do the trago. And meet somewhere in the middle?? Just a thought for the future mate.
I think we're more likely to cross paths socially TBH, I know times is rough right now, but hopefully things will level out so as you get some time for fun ( It's vital for your spirits to do something fun, probably more so for folk with health issues or their carers) I do all the shopping a man can handle whilst remaining sane, I haven't been to Trago in years, I bought about 12000 airgun pellets there about 20 years ago... still not half way through them, was a time on tools they were unbeatable, and many household things too, not a clue now though, I've a feeling my wife's ebay skills make Trago trips unlikely ( plus she spends all the money anyway :lol: no seriously in her own time being practically housebound online shopping gives her the sort of satisfaction I get from going my activities)

I'd have thought you folks place could be a golden opportunity to turn into something many preppers would love to have access to, I dream of winning the lottery and buying an old farm to live and experiment with permaculture, underground houses, and of course there would have to be a firing range in the mix somewhere :lol:

As for bulk buying certainly regionally may be worth looking into, I know there have been collaborations on some stuff already, unfortunately our space is so limited now (I couldn't have any more Fray Bentos pies kicking ariund right now for instance there must be 3 or 4 dozen here and there :lol: ) that it has become a case of how much do we have room for as well as how much can we afford, there is a fun budget, but everything else is squeezed very tightly, it is getting so obvious that we are either hoarders or preppers now that perhaps only one room could pass as what others would call normal :lol: perhaps a thread to establish what people need would be a good start?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

Ahh, Fray Bentos pies. The memories of disappointment as you pulled back to crust to find 4 lumps of meat and the rest gravy. Probably reflects the price. Mind you, I suppose it would be far more satisfactory than trying to catch squirrels.