Bulk buy coffee

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
yorkshirewolf

Bulk buy coffee

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Like everyone else, I've noticed the price of things creeping up and up, but was not amused today when i saw the price of coffee, I usually buy it in bulk when it's on offer, and i do like nice coffee, but the big brands seem to be having a bit of a laugh with their prices.

So can anyone recommend a nice, rich tasting instant coffee, that i can buy in bulk and not feel like i'm having my pants pulled down with the price?

I'm not sure how much this counts as a prep, but most people i know think of coffee as a staple food group!

And no Decaff, i need full fat-caffiene laden goodness! :D
aldhelm

Re: Bulk buy coffee

Post by aldhelm »

I usually get Nescafe Gold Blend from Poundstretchers, I don't know if there's one near you, but you can sometimes get it at £4 for a 200g jar. Or at least you could last time I bought any a couple of months ago cos we are steadily eating our way through our stocks at the moment so we don't have to buy any normal shopping.

That way SWMBO can spend more on everyone else at this wonderful time of year (can you hear the sarcasm in my voice?)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Home Bargains has 200g Nescafe @£2.99. Oh and the Co-Op has 200g jars of Kenco on offer @£3.53. HTH :)

I do the same YW I tend to buy quantitie when I see it on offer.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Thanks both,

Sainsburys has the gold blend 300g refills for £7.50, i thought that was taking the mick a bit, especially considering the large 200g jars were £4 a few weeks ago.

Seen 1kg tubs of normal nescafe for around £20 online but adding it up there's not much in it....

:cry:

Edit:

Found that Tesco , Waitrose and Poundland have the 200g jars for £4, so thats 400g for 50p more than the refill - in a jar. kind of defeats the whole 'refill packs are good for the environment' pitch...
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Crikey.

I'm going to make a different suggestion. Get yourself an aeropress or a bialetti stove-top moka pot, and a grinder, and start enjoying proper freshly-ground freshly-made coffee for the same price. Sainsburys own-brand fairtrade expresso roast beans come between £1.50 and £1.80 per 100g, or £15 -£18 per kilo. That's cheaper than some of the prices below, for a better product.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

featherstick wrote:Crikey.

I'm going to make a different suggestion. Get yourself an aeropress or a bialetti stove-top moka pot, and a grinder, and start enjoying proper freshly-ground freshly-made coffee for the same price. Sainsburys own-brand fairtrade expresso roast beans come between £1.50 and £1.80 per 100g, or £15 -£18 per kilo. That's cheaper than some of the prices below, for a better product.

Yep I buy beans when they are on offer , got about 3kgs in the cupboard at the moment :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Like everyone else, I've noticed the price of things creeping up and up, but was not amused today when i saw the price of coffee, I usually buy it in bulk when it's on offer, and i do like nice coffee, but the big brands seem to be having a bit of a laugh with their prices.

So can anyone recommend a nice, rich tasting instant coffee, that i can buy in bulk and not feel like i'm having my pants pulled down with the price?

I'm not sure how much this counts as a prep, but most people i know think of coffee as a staple food group!

And no Decaff, i need full fat-caffiene laden goodness! :D
I don't think of myself as a coffee snob, I usually only have one cup a day but is there such a thing a a "rich tasting instant coffee" ? We use the wee pods generally but I have got some ground stuff that's dry packed for just in case. I've taken ground coffee away with me to sea, up hills etc but admittedly I did probably have 2-4 cups a day then. I've got a few of these cups which gives options on beverages.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Unless there was a raging hangover in the mix I'd rather have a cup of tea than an instant coffee, maybe I'm more of a coffee snob than I realise. :shock:
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

featherstick wrote:Crikey.

I get the feeling I'm missing quite a trick here. Gonna look into that featherstick, thanks.
tanstaafl wrote:

Yep I buy beans when they are on offer , got about 3kgs in the cupboard at the moment :D
Can I just ask tanstaafl do you vacuum pack them and what kind of shelf life do you reckon they are good for?

I really feel some amazon wishlist additions coming on here.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

There's a great article somewhere that says the best thing to do in a prepping/survival situation is to make a cup of tea before anything else. This forces you to S.T.O.P. (stop, think, orientate/observe, plan), build a warming fire, and obtain & purify water. In such a situation I'd use tea as it rehydrates better than coffee, but in all non-SHTF situations I love me a cuppa coffee. We use instant coffee, manual filters with funnels, cafetieres, and sometimes the Millicano hybrid between ground coffee beans and instant coffee granules. This thread has made me think that I should learn how to make coffee the Arabic way: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Arabic-Coffee
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Costco Nescafe Gold Blend 750g Tin £18.99 .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.