A Bit of a Forage.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

A Bit of a Forage.

Post by Brambles »

Haven't really had much chance to get out and about but this morning I had some free time so went for a walk. I always have a carrier bag and a plastic container with me when I go out, just in case.
I came home with enough Rosehips for some syrup and Crabapples for jelly. Happy bunny me. :D

DSCN0136.JPG
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Re: A Bit of a Forage.

Post by pseudonym »

Nice one, I miss foraging, all that wild food for free just sitting there.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I never quite feel the same glow if I have to buy stuff to preserve. Total skinflint. :lol:

While I was in a temp work placement, I clocked some Sweet Chestnuts. I may have to go do a bit of scrumping! :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

has anyone here made coffee from acorns and actually drunk it personally i drink tea but her indoors drinks the stuff
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Acorns are high in oxalates that can build up inside your body and cause pain.

I would change the water to boil in st least once if I were to make tea from them... Boil a few times in several changes of water to eat them as nuts
jansman

Post by jansman »

gamekeeper752 wrote:has anyone here made coffee from acorns and actually drunk it personally i drink tea but her indoors drinks the stuff
Not acorn, but back when I got the self sufficiency bug, I made dandelion coffee. Really quite good.

Just dig some thick dandelion roots, scrub em, peel, chop and oven roast. Then when roasted brown, blitz em in a blender or pound with pestle and mortar and steep in hot water as usual. Palatable, but no caffeine hit!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Love a forage! We did a big blackberry pick and whilst there found a ton of elderberries, cupboard shelf full of blackberry jelly abd elderberry jelly. Free is good for the soul! 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I went looking for sloes on my friends small holding, looks like i was a month too late, better luch next year i suppose. I will have a good read of my Food for free book and check the right time to pick them and other things.
i might even try growng a blackthorn bush in the garden?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
redskies

Post by redskies »

jansman wrote:
gamekeeper752 wrote:has anyone here made coffee from acorns and actually drunk it personally i drink tea but her indoors drinks the stuff
Not acorn, but back when I got the self sufficiency bug, I made dandelion coffee. Really quite good.

Just dig some thick dandelion roots, scrub em, peel, chop and oven roast. Then when roasted brown, blitz em in a blender or pound with pestle and mortar and steep in hot water as usual. Palatable, but no caffeine hit!

Also very good for you medicinally, dandelion tea, made from steeped roots, is reputed to help with all sorts of illnesses and contains A, B, C, and D, as well as minerals, such as iron, potassium, and zinc. It's also anti-inflammatory. Useful stuffs is dandelion :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

munchh wrote:I went looking for sloes on my friends small holding, looks like i was a month too late, better luch next year i suppose. I will have a good read of my Food for free book and check the right time to pick them and other things.
i might even try growng a blackthorn bush in the garden?
Blackthorn makes some of the best hedging.
Its got hard and tough wood with big stabby thorns.... Whats not to like :lol:

Its cheaper then post&wire too
http://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/BL ... N-19~94229 (First supplier I googled)

I've found a few fungi.... But I'm sure they're Brown Rollrims and therefore won't be going anywhere near my foodchain
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar