Fruit and nuts

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Fruit and nuts

Post by grenfell »

Not the chucklit stuff nice though it is :D rather the proper stuff on trees.
How have your trees performed this year. I have a large Mirabelle plum tree that was loaded last year but this has scarcely had a handful on it. Likewise my cherry trees , good last year but this small blemished fruits not worth picking . Some trees nearby which we scrumpted from last year were also poor performers but oddly enough one cherry tree in a garden I work at had huge dark red cherries. My almond tree has also fared badly this year too. It has some on it but not as many as last year. Strangely enough only feet from the ill performing Mirabelle and cherries I have Victoria's and they are fine , perhaps not quite as many but large plump fruits and very few spoilt ones. The apples and pears have been normal in comparison to other years. Soft fruits , black , red and white currants have all done well , and are now jam , the strawberries not quite as good but then I think that's more that the plants are due for replacement now as I have had several seasons out of them.
If you don't mind me asking how have others found their fruits this year?
featherstick

Re: Fruit and nuts

Post by featherstick »

Top fruit will often have a year on, a year off. My lottie neighbour's Victoria plum was laden last year, bare this year. Damsons are looking plentiful again this year though.

Soft fruit has been pretty good so far this year.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

I don't have any fruit trees except for the mountain-ashes and they are looking great, i'm just waiting for the first frost before I pick the berries and my fig that froze to the ground (I´m bringing it in this winter). I didn't get any strawberries, I have white ones and they need another sort if they are to develope fruits, next year i'm going to get "normal" strawberry plants. But my cultivated wild strawberries has given me liters of berries. And so has the blackcurrants and gooseberries. And a couple of days ago I picked 4 kilos of redcurrants at a friends farm.

My Manchurian walnut are far to young for any nuts to develope.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Almost forgot about my gooseberries and wild strawberries. Both have done well , the former probably better than last year. I don't have any mountain ash or rowan as they are also known but there are lots nearby all of which are covered in berries. MissAnpassad do you use yours? I never seem to get round to it but I might make an effort to making rowan jelly this year perhaps.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Agreed - I have a wild plum tree nearby that I got 48 (small) fruits from last year. This year, 2! I have 3 huge cherry trees just by the plum tree, and about 2oz of cherries :( though I suspect the birds played a part in that.

Apples are as good as usual - there's a wild orchard nearby, and the trees are groaning. Blackberries likewise.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

grenfell wrote:Almost forgot about my gooseberries and wild strawberries. Both have done well , the former probably better than last year. I don't have any mountain ash or rowan as they are also known but there are lots nearby all of which are covered in berries. MissAnpassad do you use yours? I never seem to get round to it but I might make an effort to making rowan jelly this year perhaps.
Yes, I make jelly. I love it together with soft cheeses and also together with mushrooms.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Hazels are doing well round by me. I'm going too try picking them green this year. Didn't think we could grow almonds in this country and I love almonds. Road side fruit seems to be doing ok manly apples but some cherry's and pears as well my raspberry didn't do so good I'm going to try Autumn ones next year, and with three pups in the house who took a liking to my loganberry I'm just hoping it survives :cry: for next year
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes we can grow almonds. Mine isn't a particularly big tree and it's normally a good cropper but this year there's not many on it . Plenty of blossom earlier but not translated to the nuts. I don't have hazels although there are quite a few nearby but it's always a battle to get the nuts before the squirrels .
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

Fruit wise I have two types of apples trees (only small ones) and a plum tree plus rhubarb. My rhubard and both my apple trees are doing well (Greensleeve and Bramley) but my plum tree is not! Absolutely no idea why. Not a massive issue for me as I don't like plums but my other half does so he's a bit dissapointed.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My rhubarb has done ok , could be better but could have been worse. I've one customer who keeps horses and the muck ends up on her rhubarb and it always ends up with great big thick stems . There's far to much for her to eat and I normally end up with some . Another customer has two large fig bushes growing in a courtyard ( converted stable buildings) so they tend to catch the sun and recently she gave me a small bag of lovely big ripe fruits and there still looked to be quite a few left on the bushes.