MOD Rations Shelf Life

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Memphis

MOD Rations Shelf Life

Post by Memphis »

Afternoon all,

Apologies if theres a post regarding this already but the search drew a blank.

I've sorted through some kit from my time in the forces and discovered the 'few' rations I thought I had turns out to be a whole black grip full of them, as the picture shows!

Now I know it's common practise in the military to just stick a new best before date over the old one, but I'm assuming even air tight and foil packaging can't keep it edible indefinitely. I've had this lot since i left 2 years ago so I'm inclined to think it's had it. My question to any who may know is how long do they really last?

Memphis.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
pseudonym

Re: MOD Rations Shelf Life

Post by pseudonym »

Still eating 10 year old stuff.

Your mileage may vary, sniff test first. :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Memphis

Post by Memphis »

Mines still factory fresh in comparison then! Time to sort through and sift out the biscuits brown...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
redskies

Re: MOD Rations Shelf Life

Post by redskies »

Definitely have a look rather than just ditch.

In the 80's, we were given rat packs that had been put together up to twenty years previously. They were still edible.* They'd thrown in some more modern chocolate that was clearly destined for overseas markets - no English writing. Even the words Rolo & Mars were in what looked like Arabic script - but everything else was original.

*They wouldn't poison you and contained nutrition. And had the biggest teabags I've ever seen in my life!