Question re potatoes

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Decaff

Question re potatoes

Post by Decaff »

Does anyone know how many times you're supposed to earth up potatoes? We planted them and earthed them up, they grew through that mound so we earthed them up again and they've sprouted through again? Do we just leave them now or do they get buried again?

Sorry if this is basic knowledge but it's getting confusing and I can't find an answer in my books!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
berbie

Re: Question re potatoes

Post by berbie »

Let them just grow now. Earthing up is debated and debated on gardening forums with many different answers.
The only time I would touch them now I if I saw small potatoes showing on the ridges. I'd cover them as green potatoes are supposed to be poisonous- dunno how many you'd have to eat to kill yourself but they're not good for you.
And them water them later in their growing season if it doesnt rain enough to prevent splitting during wet times.
Decaff

Re: Question re potatoes

Post by Decaff »

Thank you Berbie, I will keep an eye out for any potatoes showing and cover them over.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.