Growing/ harvesting grains

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
axelt123

Growing/ harvesting grains

Post by axelt123 »

i currently have a moderate experience in grow fruit and veg and grains. I have worked on a farm for 3yrs in the harvest time. Does anyone know the best way to havest grains eg wheat by hand after WTSHTF as i have only used machiney for that. Any good site would help.
thanks axel
Brambling

Re: Growing/ harvesting grains

Post by Brambling »

Any historical farming site would probably have the info you want. It would involve using a Scythe to cut the corn, then you would have to flail it, then winnow, then store. It's a lot of hard work without machinery!
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

thank for that i had a look some people sugest placing inside of a pillow case and hit on a wall for thrashing the wheat
biller

Post by biller »

just like saving most seeds but on a bigger scale really
Spread an old bed sheet on the ground. Without stepping on the sheet, lay a bundle of wheat near the center of the sheet.
Gather up the corners of the sheet and wrap the sheet loosely around the wheat stalks.
Tie the sheet around the stalks making a bag over the seed heads.
Use both hands to pound the seed heads against the ground or a rock to knock loose the kernels from the plant.
Untie the sheet and carefully spread it out. Check to make sure the wheat kernels have been separated from the stalks. If not, retie and repeat
Remove the stalks, leaving the wheat kernels on the sheet.
Have each person pick up a corner of the sheet. Carefully make the wheat kernels bounce on the sheet by moving the sheet up and down.
Continue until nothing is left on the sheet but the wheat kernels. The chaff is light and should be blown away by the wind as you winnow.
Store your wheat in food grade containers or buckets until needed
when needed for flower a hand meet grinder will do the job you can get them from ebay for around a tenner inc p+p
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

thanks for the insight

axel