Lucky me

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
featherstick

Re: Lucky me

Post by featherstick »

That top one is ok. It's been recently cultivated and the soil is probably in good-ish heart. That's very superficial weed growth and will come out with a good forking. Doesn't look like you have a matrix of weed root and carpet all over it, like I had. If you're on clay, rough dig now and let the frost break it up a bit. If you're on loam/sand, cover it with Mypex or similar and dig in spring.

Don't go mad at it, pace yourself and have a plan. Talk to people about what grows, find a source of manure, buy a big bag of fenugreek seeds from the local Indian shop (cheapest green manure), cover half the plot and work on the other half to begin with. Don't try to get it all dug in one weekend, I've seen too many people do their backs in and never come back.

When you get going next year, spuds, squash, and soft fruit are a good plan. Squash need a lot of space so you don't feel like it's not under control, and soft fruit are probably the ONE thing that is most worth growing yourself. Spuds because they are spuds.

Oh and start a compost bin.

Enjoy.
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Thanks for the sound advice Featherstick,; I haven't got the key yet to recce it, but my mate in work has echoed your thoughts.

Phil
Jaeger48

Post by Jaeger48 »

Please forgive my ignorance. What is the allotment system you're talking about? There are community gardens locally that we could potentially become members of or we would need to buy our own land.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Jaeger48 wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. What is the allotment system you're talking about? There are community gardens locally that we could potentially become members of or we would need to buy our own land.
Allotments are parcels of land usually owned by the local council that are rented out to local residents for growing food. Size can vary, as does rent.

Here's a link to the Allotment Society website.

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/ ... llotments/
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Jaeger48 wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. What is the allotment system you're talking about? There are community gardens locally that we could potentially become members of or we would need :P to buy our own land.
They are a little plot of land that you can rent off the local county council. You usually can grow anything legal as well as have chickens and such. They aren't big in the state's. Although when I lived in Portland, OR they had a couple there.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Jaeger48 wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. What is the allotment system you're talking about? There are community gardens locally that we could potentially become members of or we would need to buy our own land.
As above - small areas of land owned by the local council (sometimes church or other body) and let out for people to grow veg on for their own consumption. Part of an effort to improve the health of the working classes by giving them access to fresh veg.
Also a great way to meet people and develop networks of like-minded pals. Your community garden might be worth going along to see whether it is something you would like to join.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi ,looks like a bit of work but will be worth it . I had a fair size of ground to clear a few years ago and bought an Azada (they are common in Asia etc) and unbelievable how quickly I cleared the ground. They come in diferent weights ie light,medium and heavy and I got the heavy .I would say the medium would have worked as well. First tool I go for if rough ground needs broken up such as clods also at digging time.
filsgreen

Post by filsgreen »

Thanks for that great suggestion DT; I'd never heard of them till today. I'm still waiting for the key to the gate of the allotments, so I've not been near it yet.

Phil
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Not that expensive and get them on the intranet ,sure it will help once you are into it. Be good to hear how you get on.
DT
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

small solar PV system for the shed will extend its usefulness.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Off-Grid-Lighti ... C7SAJXWNXD
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.