Keeping Poultry for meat.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambling

Re: Keeping Poultry for meat.

Post by Brambling »

Had the bird for dinner tonight. It was FANTASTIC! really tasty and the meat was just buttery tender. There didn't look to be a lot of meat on it, but there is easily enough meat left for a pie and soup! Brambling jnr summed it up.....nom, nom, nom! :D
Passingfroo

Post by Passingfroo »

Just discovered Preppers (although I guess we have been preppers in spirit for some time). I'm trying to PM Northern Raider to get his pdf on keeping chooks. How does one pm please?
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

For further information, i suggest you read: Keeping poultry and rabbits on scraps by Claude Goodchild and Alan Thompson, published by penguin. isbn 978-0-141-03862-9, price £6-99. originally published in 1941 republished in 2008.
Longjohns

Post by Longjohns »

Found this a short while ago, if anyone's interested.

http://butcherachicken.blogspot.com/

Looks quite useful, although only for people who don't already know how to butcher a chicken.
Brambling

Post by Brambling »

bigpaul wrote:For further information, i suggest you read: Keeping poultry and rabbits on scraps by Claude Goodchild and Alan Thompson, published by penguin. isbn 978-0-141-03862-9, price £6-99. originally published in 1941 republished in 2008.
Got this, It's a really handy book.
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

i have kept chickens for a few years but never could bring myself to wring their necks. What i do is put some feed down and a bit of lead in the back of its head works, probably more humane to.