Square foot gardening.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Square foot gardening.

Post by jansman »

Looks good to me. Thanks for the link.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

Hi Guys - sorry for refreshing old topic - how much veggies can I expect from it? There is me, wife and son. Garden is small but I think I can plant some 16 square feet - how much can it provide?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Best thing is to research it on You Tube.A picture is worth a thousand words.As they say.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

This sounds really interesting - as we only moved into our house start of March this year I've spent most of this year just figuring out what's in it (it's only small) and when the stuff we do have well produce it's goodies. However, next year I'd like to try & grow a bit more but I really am a novice gardener.

This method sounds like it would not only suit the space I have but also doesn't sound too complex. Win win!
jansman

Post by jansman »

It isn't a complicated system, and it's originator thoroughly recommends it for beginners. The attraction for me is that I only grow small amounts of each item. When the kids were growing up we seemed to need industrial amounts of everything, so a 20' row of carrots is now out of the question. I tried passing excess crops on to my daughters, but it's too much trouble for them to wash etc. Easier to get stuff from Waitrose. They earn too much!

You can lay your hands on the original book quite cheaply ( used) from Amazon and such. Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholemew. There is an updated version, but frankly I consider it an overly expensive rehash.

You Tube is a good place to start too.

When you first set up a square foot bed, you are instructed to use 'Mels Mix' as the growing medium. This too I feel is unecessary. It is an expensive mix of peat,commercial compost and vermiculite. I used garden soil and home brewed compost, and I keep it topped with my compost for fertility. Having said that though, I am a skinflint, and I do have three x 8x4 beds.

If you are setting up an initial 4x4 bed (as recommended for beginners) and you have no initial access to home compost, then the 'mix' would work to get you off the ground , if you will forgive the pun :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

Cheers for the tips jansman! I do have home compost so shouldn't need the mix. Will definately look up the book and read up on it.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Following this too Jansman. I wasn't well enough last yesr to do any gardening at all, but hopefully next year I'll be able to get back to normal. I've got an area earmarked for this.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The beauty of this is that in a 4x4' bed you can grow 16 different crops,or grow in succession.At the least you can grow enough salad for two people in those 16 squares to last the Spring and Summer.It is very manageable too .

It is not the be all and end all system by any means, but for small space,lack of time ( that's me!) or ill health, it can work well.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

What do you grow in yours?
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

How do fancy a little grow together Lil? I want to have a go at this in the garden, maybe grow some salad stuff that won't do well at the allotment. We could start together in the spring and chivvy each other along, post a few pics, it could be fun. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon