Seed Potatos

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Carrot Cruncher

Seed Potatos

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Possibly a silly question but....

I'm still new to the growing veg malarky but regarding shop bought spuds that go to seed in the bag, are they fine for planting ?
itsybitsy

Re: Seed Potatos

Post by itsybitsy »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Possibly a silly question but....

I'm still new to the growing veg malarky but regarding shop bought spuds that go to seed in the bag, are they fine for planting ?
Yep! I am no gardening expert but I do know that. Choose ones with a lot of shoots on them. And plant them with the majority of the shoots facing upwards. Make sure there's no bad bits on them or anything. After you've got your first crop keep the best tatties to seed again.

I guess some people would start talking about certified varieties, etc etc etc - but if it were me I'd just stick the tatties in the soil and wait for them to grow. :mrgreen:

http://www.smart-gardening.co.uk/planti ... tatoes.php
Last edited by itsybitsy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Thanks
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yes I do this every year. Just make sure they are nice tatties to begin with - I hate those horrible mushy ones that turn to soup :evil: Grow them in binbags tied to a fence, or any old container, or even a pile of tyres. I can't plant them here until April but down south you can go a lot earlier. Mind put holes in the bottom.
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

I bought a few different varieties of tatties from poundland, they got some good camping stuff coming in too.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

We planted 24 seed potatoes last year and pulled up over 80lbs, some nice big baking spuds in amongst them as well.

We had a glut of runner beans as well :shock: