Rearfang

Re: Tinned butter

Post by Rearfang »

MARMITE yuk nooooooo
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Rearfang wrote:MARMITE yuk nooooooo

Love Marmite, boil pasta till soft, any shape of your choice, drain and add knob of butter into the pan till melted, add spoonful of Marmite into the butter and add the pasta back in and twirl around to coat with butter/Marmite mixture. Just before serving generous grating of parmesan cheese over the top. Voila quick easy meal. :P
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Watched an interesting video on utube about preserving butter!! You can do this in a jar yourself and it doesn't need to be pressure cooked either! For those interested the link is:

http://www.preparednesspro.com/to-bottl ... tle-butter

Also watched one on water bathing cherries and peaches!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Rearfang wrote:Never tried gee do any high st shops sell it
Yup, world food aisle in Discos
Knowledge is power
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Decaff wrote:Watched an interesting video on utube about preserving butter!! You can do this in a jar yourself and it doesn't need to be pressure cooked either! For those interested the link is:

http://www.preparednesspro.com/to-bottl ... tle-butter

Also watched one on water bathing cherries and peaches!
Thank you for that. I use a lot of butter and Ghee plus lard and dripping.

I have also just been reading how to make mozzarella cheese from powdered milk.

http://commonsensehome.com/fresh-homema ... 0-minutes/

recipe above and below what powdered milk to use.

Dry Powdered Milk

There are two kinds of powdered milk – nonfat and whole. Both may be used in cheese making. However, we recommend using the whole dry milk only in yogurt and the soft cheeses. (If you use it for aged cheese, it may taste rancid.)

Whole dry milk has a shelf life of 6 months. Once opened, nonfat dry milk has a shelf life of one year at room temperature.

You may extend this shelf life by keeping your dry milk in the refrigerator or freezer.

I make a lot of food items and my list keeps on growing. I need a lot of butter and other fats for my health if I dont have it my mental health goes down hill . So for me my stocks would not be pasta, rice, flour etc but fats, meats and greens.
I will do stocks of other foods just in case my family need supplies at any time.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I wonder if freezing, then putting into kilner jar with oxy absorber extends life into years? Does anyone know?
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Decaff wrote:I wonder if freezing, then putting into kilner jar with oxy absorber extends life into years? Does anyone know?

I bet putting it into a kilner jar, and using the jar sealer on the food vacuum sealer to take the air right out would keep it for a long time as no air can get into it. and a oxy absorber would not hurt either.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Be Prepared101 wrote:try this website out http://www.beprepared101.co.uk/store/pr ... ted-butter
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the link, could you nip across to the Welcome section and introduce yourself. :)
redskies

Post by redskies »

Could you freeze dry it, perhaps?

As well as ghee, have a look at coconut oil. It doesn't go off the same way many other fats do, and has a very wide range of uses :)
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

redskies wrote:Could you freeze dry it, perhaps?

As well as ghee, have a look at coconut oil. It doesn't go off the same way many other fats do, and has a very wide range of uses :)
Currently on at a very good price in Lidl
Knowledge is power