Rabbit

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: Rabbit

Post by Arzosah »

Appin wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 pm I can't understand the aversion.
Now so queer as folk as they say.
There's not a huge amount of logic to it (and I say that as someone who held that position, before I turned vegetarian).

Actually, the only logic is that if most people come into contact with rabbits, it's as pets - a friend's, a school, a garden centre. It's like eating Fido, and there are plenty of posts on here, discussing shtf, where lots of people are saying no, I'd never eat Fido (and a few saying they would, of course).
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 am
Appin wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 pm I can't understand the aversion.
Now so queer as folk as they say.
There's not a huge amount of logic to it (and I say that as someone who held that position, before I turned vegetarian).

Actually, the only logic is that if most people come into contact with rabbits, it's as pets - a friend's, a school, a garden centre. It's like eating Fido, and there are plenty of posts on here, discussing shtf, where lots of people are saying no, I'd never eat Fido (and a few saying they would, of course).
Exactly that Arzosah.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Think Arzosah is right , people get attached to small fluffy things more easily than a 1\2 ton animal. That probably accounts for why we don't eat things like guinea pigs which were farmed for food in south america at one time for instance and also why we don't tend to eat dogs either. I've heard the theory that we don't tend to eat horses because they are seen as more of a status symbol which could very well be true then of course some things seem to fall into a yuk category , things like insects and probably squirrel , pigeon and other "vermin" .
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

We used to keep goats when I was a child and there were similar reactions: either that they were for poor people who couldn't keep a cow; or that it would be like eating one of Heidi's pets. We sold a lot to Italian familes for Easter though. I think this is driven by perceptions of class and some urban sentimentality. Food perceived as "poor" food has a stigma attached. At one time, oysters were poor food, and then as they became rarer and more expensive the status reversed.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I kept goats up until quite recently. I had no trouble shifting the offspring, as we have the largest Asian population in the UK here in Leicester. My neighbours just thought I was a peasant in the derogatory term! I did have one young couple next door some years ago , who in absolute honesty, asked me if we were a poor family because we had a huge garden full of vegetables , hens and three goats! :lol:

What featherstick says about the perception of ‘poor peoples food ‘ is true. Mrs J and I enjoy ( bearing in mind I can have anything I like from work) tinned luncheon meat, Spam, tinned stewing steak etc. Our daughters cannot understand it, but we explained that we were brought up in the 60’s /70’s, and those things were a treat. They are not living here now, so it’s not an issue.

It is interesting though, that the British have a snotty attitude to ‘peasant food’, but Italians,French,Romanians ( I work with three Romanians) embrace their food heritage with a passion.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think we, as a nation, are the most snobbish and pretentious in the world actually. Most people you meet are so busy pretending to be something they are not :evil:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 pm Mrs J and I enjoy ( bearing in mind I can have anything I like from work) tinned luncheon meat, Spam, tinned stewing steak etc. Our daughters cannot understand it, but we explained that we were brought up in the 60’s /70’s, and those things were a treat.
It is interesting though, that the British have a snotty attitude to ‘peasant food’, but Italians,French,Romanians ( I work with three Romanians) embrace their food heritage with a passion.
"Embracing our food heritage" , i like that one .i'mgoing to try that on my sister in law.
Funny thing is she won't touch things like spam or tinned pies because that's what her psrents brought her up on and so now thinks she should have something "better" .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 pm
"Embracing our food heritage" , i like that one .i'mgoing to try that on my sister in law.
Funny thing is she won't touch things like spam or tinned pies because that's what her psrents brought her up on and so now thinks she should have something "better" .
I hadn't been near a Fray Bentos in about 25 years until a couple mates were singing their praises, I've got reacquainted with a few other old friends although I'm not so fond of corned beef. Snobbery played a part although healthiness played a part too, not that I'm the picture of health. :oops:

I fell out of love with tatties for years (apart from chips natch ;) ) and was much more of a pasta kind of a chap. With hindsight, it might have been me 'moving on' from what I grew up with, dunno, it certainly wasn't a conscious thing. We do like to define ourselves though, again, maybe subconsciously but our egos play a huge part in how we see ourselves and how we want others to see us.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm another one that was brought up on spam :) Fish paste/ meat paste too, and corned beef. There was "fresh" corned beef too, anyone else have that? It was sliced in the shop, from a block. Plus I remember when I found out that some people **fried** their spam! Heavenly!

Fray Bentos pies passed me by, my mum wouldn't have bought them, and once I was responsible for my own food, they would have looked too big, I think. All the while I was still eating meat, in my 20s, there was always a butcher close by, who made their own meat pies :D though less often when I worked in Birmingham.

Oh dear! Liquid calories were more important to me in those days, I confess :roll:
jansman

Post by jansman »

When I was an apprentice we made ' fresh' corned beef.It would fly out once it went on sale.That was a few years ago now.Mrs J likes beef and salmon paste too,and we always have a few jars in the pantry.

Robert Frost.

Me.