Augmenting the stash: Pesto etc.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Re: Augmenting the stash: Pesto etc.

Post by diamond lil »

Plymtom wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:48 am It's funny how we spend time thinking of how we will cope if TSHTF without realizing that in many ways it already has, has been going on for decades, and keeps getting worse, we still prep yes but really need to focus on finding ways to improve health issues and cope in the present in the hope we can claw our way back to having a better chance if the collective SHTF :lol:
Good post Plympton and very true.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been away for a few days ("woman cannot live by prepping alone" :mrgreen: ) so I'm only now joining in the so-called debate (because we're all in agreement, hey? :lol: ). So here it is:
My name is Arzosah and I'm addicted to pesto.

There, I've said it.

When I first got into prepping-as-found-on-the-internet, I bought cheap teabags, I bought spaghetti because it stores more easily than fusilli (I don't like spaghetti), I think they were the main things I went really cheap on. And I used them eventually because I just can't throw food away. But I replaced by buying more of the teabags I actually choose, buying my fusilli, etc. My only problem is that I really, really like pesto, and I can't keep it in the house. I need to go buy it in cash as well as in my monthly supermarket delivery :oops:

We absolutely have to have foods that feel good, as well as the stodge. One thing I'm going to stock more of now is tinned fruit: while my kitchen was being fitted, the best/easiest treat I could find for myself was tinned fruit: pineapples, peaches, apples, things like that. I know it sounds a bit virtuous, but with living in all the dust and debris it was really nice to have something positive. In a society-level problem, I think it would be just as important for me. I already had plenty of pesto, of course :mrgreen: though sadly I ran out of fusilli.

And as previously stated on another recent thread, I agree with the basis of what Plymtom's saying - that tshtf has already started, and we still need to learn more ways of coping and thriving.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think we've all done that arzosah, buying anything cheap and easy, just for the sake of seeing the preps building up on the shelves. I did and we had to eat a lot of the bloody stuff and give some away - and chuck some out. Now I'm the same as you. I found it makes a huge difference if you have nice food in the house instead of just food food. :mrgreen:
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

I'm definitely in the 'store what you eat, eat what you store' camp when it comes to our food preps, and I like to eat well! However a lot of our meals consist of a mix of store cupboard items and fresh stuff e.g. spag bol or chilli made with dried soya mince (pescatarians here, large stock of tinned anchovies :) ), tinned tomatoes/pulses and fresh veg. I felt I was missing something that could replace the fresh veg in those kinds of meals if needed, something nutritious and easily stored. That's when I came across tinned ratatouille! I now keep a little stock of it in all the time, occasionally add a tin when I'm batch cooking for rotation, and have even just warmed some up and served with pasta for a quick lunch.

I also keep a good stock of baking stuff in like flour, sugar, butter and flax seeds (can be used to replace eggs, they're always the baking ingredient I run out of first). Me and the toddler bake every week so being able to throw together some cookies or something without having to go the shop always comes in handy. The other thing I make sure to do is keep my little stash of chocolate treats out of the kitchen away from the other food stores. It's kind of an out of sight, out of mind thing. They never last long enough to go bad anyway, but they last longer than they would if they were constantly falling out of the kitchen cupboard into my mouth... :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:03 pm One thing I'm going to stock more of now is tinned fruit: while my kitchen was being fitted, the best/easiest treat I could find for myself was tinned fruit: pineapples, peaches, apples, things like that.
Is it just me or does anyone else think tinned fruit tastes best straight from the tin ?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:13 am
Arzosah wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:03 pm One thing I'm going to stock more of now is tinned fruit: while my kitchen was being fitted, the best/easiest treat I could find for myself was tinned fruit: pineapples, peaches, apples, things like that.
Is it just me or does anyone else think tinned fruit tastes best straight from the tin ?
Yup, think it's a nostalgia thing, used to do it as a kid camping. Trough about a third of the tin then top up with evaporated milk...
Not done it for about 35 years right enough so maybe not the same as I remember it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:13 am
It's not just you :mrgreen: though I don't finish it off with evap as Deeps describes :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Nestles condensed milk!! Pure liquid sugar :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm sorry to say this..... But you're all doing it wrong :P

Take a Church key opener and put two pouring holes in opposite each other, suck the fruit syrup out through one hole (the other lets air in) then take a stab-can tin opener and open between the holes on one side. Fish the bits of fruit out with your fingers (or a meat skewer if you're feeling posh).....And try not to get caught by your brother, coz then you'd either have to share (and get the smaller portion) or get told on.
:lol:

Evaporated milk is best in hot chocolate.

Come to think of it, Evap is a great thing to add to the stash..... Going on the list now
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Evaporated milk is lovely in coffee too!