powdered millk

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
unsure

Re: powdered millk

Post by unsure »

we use whitener in coffee , and have dried milk just in case . :D also have long life skimmed in the cupboard .
the wife is on flavoured tea at the minute , so it should all last me Till spring :lol:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote:
diamond lil wrote:Itsy if you get 14ft of snow next week and it lies until the end of March and you run out of milk for coffee.... :shock: :shock: better get some quick!
Well, I did to go my Sainsbugs Local last night, the one at the end of the street, and there's plenty of long-life - so i'm gonna duck back in there tomorrow and get a few pints, just in case the civilised world grinds to a halt with the onset of snowmageddon! :lol:
I've got about 5L of UHT that's in date, a couple more that are out of date but within 6 months which from rough experiments is the limit. We're not big milk users so no point keeping loads for me to ditch when it goes off.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I use dried milk very day. I only have milk in coffee and I only have a couple of cups a day, so when I used to buy fresh milk 90% of it just went off and ended up down the sink. So I tried sprinkling a teaspoon of dried milk in my coffee and surprisingly it was ok. It's not as good as fresh milk, but it's ok. And it saves me throwing milk away. It doesn't work so well in tea, but I drink tea black (actually I drink it very, very, very pale brown....I'm a "show the water the tea bag from the other side of the room" kinda gal!) so it's not a problem. I find coffee whiteners too rich. I've not tried making it up as milk and using it as though it were fresh though. Maybe I should...I feel a Bird's Angel Delight pudding coming on....! :D

Ta for the tips re bacon grill...I shall interrogate the local pound shops today! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:I use dried milk very day. I only have milk in coffee and I only have a couple of cups a day, so when I used to buy fresh milk 90% of it just went off and ended up down the sink. So I tried sprinkling a teaspoon of dried milk in my coffee and surprisingly it was ok. It's not as good as fresh milk, but it's ok. And it saves me throwing milk away. It doesn't work so well in tea, but I drink tea black (actually I drink it very, very, very pale brown....I'm a "show the water the tea bag from the other side of the room" kinda gal!) so it's not a problem. I find coffee whiteners too rich. I've not tried making it up as milk and using it as though it were fresh though. Maybe I should...I feel a Bird's Angel Delight pudding coming on....! :D

Ta for the tips re bacon grill...I shall interrogate the local pound shops today! :D
Have you tried the Cravendale type filtered milk ? It lasts a long time, considerably past its use by date. We're not massive milk users but from time to time have a packet pasta for lunch which takes a good glug of milk, rarely have to pour any out.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:Have you tried the Cravendale type filtered milk ? It lasts a long time, considerably past its use by date. We're not massive milk users but from time to time have a packet pasta for lunch which takes a good glug of milk, rarely have to pour any out.
Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't tried it (and indeed didn't know about it), but it seems it's only available in 2L jugs! I live on my own. 1 pint lasts over a week, I'd never get through 2 litres!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm sure we've had it in smaller quantities than 2L, maybe look at different supermarkets.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

There are only the two of us in the house - cat doesn't like milk - and we get through 18 pints a week :mrgreen:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I keep a small amount of dried milk but just to throw something else into the mix . Tinned condensed milk and to a lesser extent evaporated . I keep some of that too , principally because I feel it stores better than the powdered stuff. Plus we don't tend to like the powdered stuff as much as fresh and as we know stores need rotating and using up the less nice stuff just replace it tends to get put off or worse not done at all and goes to waste. The only "problem" ( well one problem) is that condensed is sweetened and I don't use sugar in tea . The other problem is that I can eat a tin of condensed milk on its own just straight from the tin , once opened it doesn't last long in our house :oops:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

grenfell wrote:I keep a small amount of dried milk but just to throw something else into the mix . Tinned condensed milk and to a lesser extent evaporated . I keep some of that too , principally because I feel it stores better than the powdered stuff. Plus we don't tend to like the powdered stuff as much as fresh and as we know stores need rotating and using up the less nice stuff just replace it tends to get put off or worse not done at all and goes to waste. The only "problem" ( well one problem) is that condensed is sweetened and I don't use sugar in tea . The other problem is that I can eat a tin of condensed milk on its own just straight from the tin , once opened it doesn't last long in our house :oops:
Just a suggestion: Banana (or Strawberry when in season) and condensed milk sandwiches. Nom. :mrgreen: The reason I can't have condensed milk in the house is I can eat a whole tin.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've not had condensed or evaporated milk since I was a kid, for research purposes I'll have to get a can of each.