Its started!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Its started!

Post by jansman »

Processing food from the garden- its started.Today I shall be sorting peas,broad beans and Japanese onions.The first two for the freezer,the onions on strings.I need to free up freezer space,so all the chillies from last year( I grow and use a lot) will be dehydrated.The chillies in the tunnel are looking abundant this year!

It all happens in a relatively short time doesn't it? What I find absolutely amazing in the bigger picture is the ability of the industrial food machine to produce and store the massive amounts of grub needed by our world. We are an ingenious species for sure.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Re: Its started!

Post by Plymtom »

jansman wrote:What I find absolutely amazing in the bigger picture is the ability of the industrial food machine to produce and store the massive amounts of grub needed by our world. We are an ingenious species for sure.
What I find astounding is the instability of the oil driven system which does it, I suppose the world is slowly waking up to the need to do this stuff in a sustainable way, humans in the past had the sense to understand that if they needed to do something a certain way to feed their tribe, they would nurture the things which made it work like horses ;) and make sure they could feed them too.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Dammit! you beat me to it J! I picked the first Broad Beans yesterday. Got a couple of pounds from the 16ft row. Peas are covered but not quite ready. Once I start harvesting Peas I freeze a mix of Broad Beans and Peas. Boy are they good together! I did it out of necessity a few years ago when I didn'y really have enough of either to make it worth while blanching etc and now I do it on purpose coz they is so good. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Broad beans with peas...mmm.Good idea that!

Plymtom,I agree about the instability.In my own game,it never ceases to amaze me where meat is sourced from.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I can understand that sense of pride! Today I harvested my first apricots from the dwarf patio tree :D I've had the tree three years and although it's flowered every year, this is the first year it's borne fruit. I'm so proud of it! :D Though I did practice a spot of fruit husbandry earlier in the year in an effort to get the apple, pear and apricot trees to fruition this year! :shock: :oops:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Wow preppergirl that really brings home the difference in climate between London and up here... we can't even grow apple or pears here, too high and season too short. God I love apricots too.. :cry:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

diamond lil wrote:Wow preppergirl that really brings home the difference in climate between London and up here... we can't even grow apple or pears here, too high and season too short. God I love apricots too.. :cry:
No apples even! :shock: I thought they grew everywhere... :cry: Don't wish to rub salt into wounds but at my particular location last expected frost is mid March, first expected frost is mid November 8-) (Obviously though this is the UK and these frosts are not an exact science!) My patio, which is south facing, gets very hot when the sun shines. Providing we have a reasonable summer I can grow aubergines on it without any protection. It's a haven for chillis which I grow every year just because I can! 8-) Am trying sweet corn for the first time this year, not sure if they will work but giving it a go. But even I struggle with having a long enough season for soya, which is a pity as I love edamame. Have tried it on and off for several years, just not happening. However, one area I think you will definitely beat me is onions: I am struggling with very long day onions! My red barons are not plumping up :cry:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:.....My red barons are not plumping up :cry:

Must resist...... :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote:
ukpreppergrrl wrote:.....My red barons are not plumping up :cry:

Must resist...... :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ignore him :mrgreen: :lol:

Red Baron are ( in my experience) a difficult onion to grow.I came to the conclusion that they just don't suit my soil,or vice versa.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We manage to grow Cox's apples up in darkest Fife, made a load of cixer with them last year.