Fray Bentos Pies

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: Fray Bentos Pies

Post by Brambles »

My favourite is Minced Beef and Onion variety. Oh and I'm partial to the Curry one that you see occasionally too. :)

Best cupboard dinner, FB pie, tinned spuds, mushy peas. nom nom. :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
unsure

Post by unsure »

good old fashioned biscuit tin . on the embers and away you go .

if you have sheet steel and a few bolts the just make a box and away you go again . :lol:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:My favourite is Minced Beef and Onion variety. Oh and I'm partial to the Curry one that you see occasionally too. :)

Best cupboard dinner, FB pie, tinned spuds, mushy peas. nom nom. :lol:
Like the mince & ingin and the curry ones too, I have mine with chips and beans if I'm going for the full 'kiddy food' effect.

The only ones I don't really dig are the snake & pygmy and the mince & veg. I'm getting dragged round the shops today so I usually get bribed with a wee visit to the cheapy shops to get a few more pies.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Many years ago, at a rather drunken campout with uni pals. Some bright spark produced a few fray bentos pies for for their turn at dinner. After much headscratching, thinking, drinking(lubricates the grey matter donchaknow!) and improvisation, we separated the crust from the filling. The filling was cooked in a pan and we fried the crust, was OK, but then I suppose if you can't remember how you got to bed, you can forget how bad it might have been. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I love a tinned pie!
If cooking beside a fire, I do them inside a cooking pot. The pot is on its side, opening facing away from fire. Inside the pot I made a shelf from cut down grill which sits about a 3rd of the way up. Pie on grill shelf. Sorted!
tin foil makes a great door.
Works a treat.
I've cooked allsorts in it on a foil tray. Chicken legs are great.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:I love a tinned pie!
If cooking beside a fire, I do them inside a cooking pot. The pot is on its side, opening facing away from fire. Inside the pot I made a shelf from cut down grill which sits about a 3rd of the way up. Pie on grill shelf. Sorted!
Works a treat.
That's a great idea, consider my mind blown. I've wondered how I'd improvise an oven if needed for the (32 at the last count) FB pies. I've considered bricks but that's a bit more semi permanent. Cheers mate.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:That's a great idea, consider my mind blown. I've wondered how I'd improvise an oven if needed for the (32 at the last count) FB pies. I've considered bricks but that's a bit more semi permanent. Cheers mate.
Get yourself on youtube mate, search cardboard box oven, I made one I'll look for piccies.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:That's a great idea, consider my mind blown. I've wondered how I'd improvise an oven if needed for the (32 at the last count) FB pies. I've considered bricks but that's a bit more semi permanent. Cheers mate.
Get yourself on youtube mate, search cardboard box oven, I made one I'll look for piccies.
Cheers amigo. This is why I love this place. :D
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Reflector ovens are pretty easy to make too, you can buy them but they're just made of sheet metal so there's nothing too complicated.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Deeps wrote:
BlinkingCory wrote:I love a tinned pie!
Works a treat.
That's a great idea, consider my mind blown. I've wondered how I'd improvise an oven if needed for the (32 at the last count) FB pies. I've considered bricks but that's a bit more semi permanent. Cheers mate.
Being a professional greedy sod forced my hand!
Only difficult thing is forming two rows of small rocks, so the pot is off the ground and can be slid into, out of the fire if things get too hot or cold. Doesn't take long now as I've done it so often. It's defo not for everyone tho, I know I'm unusual in carrying such a sized pot just for 2 or 3 days but that's the fun of it for me. I'd rather scoff a roast or pie than exist on typical camping stuff.

That cardboard oven looks great, thanks for the tip Plymtom.
I'm always looking for new ways to do things and that will be added to the arsenal.