What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Plymtom

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by Plymtom »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:And I've used some mixes past their best before date with no bugs and no yeast problems. Though I presume there is a limit on how far past the date the yeast would still be active! I guess you could always chuck some fresher dried yeast in if in doubt.
I have used them past their BBD but the longer I leave it the less it rises, I've not stocked up on mixes for now I just get one and replace it when I've used it.
I'm not after 20 year storage on the flour front. I just hate throwing it out, that's what the vac sealer is all about prolonging the storage time thereby allowing us to keep large enough stocks, or more to the point keep stock which last longer than the fluctuations in our eating habits do, reducing waste along with making using the dehydrator more viable, certain special offers are more worthwhile if you can vac seal, and of course as I said before dehydration of many things fruit and veg wise needs supply of goodies which come in well below normal prices or you can buy too close to your total costs off the shelf, plus when you consider the work, peeling, preparing, and even the clean up, time wise many would opt out of the DIY dehydration game.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Beginning of the year I bought a dehydrator Then I bogged off abroad for a month or six. So upon return I have had a lot of apples to deal with.Two of the varieties are not keepers.So I have been coring,slicing ,dipping in lemon juice so!ution ( thank Brambles!) And the results are brilliant.I am amazed the dehydrator has not burnt out tbh.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A couple of Aldi's cheap (45p) pineapples drying out at the moment. Next, some more of Her Maj's onions.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today it is wild mushrooms. Getting bags of parasols, ink caps, puffballs and the much sought-after local delicacy, wood blewitts. I am fighting shy of getting a job at the moment, ( don't worry I ain't scrounging off the state I have paid into for the thick end of 40 years :lol: ) so me and the dog are mooching around a lot. I should have bought a dehydrator a long time ago!

Friday, I nailed a roadkill Muntjac, The forequarter was smashed up where it had been hit. So I am currently marinating a load ready for drying. Nice find that.

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

This weekend I have been eating my dehydrated food in the woods.

Mince, courgette and cauliflower all rehydrated well and provided great meals.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote:This weekend I have been eating my dehydrated food in the woods.

How do you go about dehydrating mince,please?

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote:
pseudonym wrote:This weekend I have been eating my dehydrated food in the woods.

How do you go about dehydrating mince,please?
This is the method I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0r8_WPjET4

Try and get 5% fat mince, and after browning the meat wash all excess fat off before dehydrating.

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thankyou for the link pseudonym.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Maybe cheating a bit but as well as adding dehydrated veg to packet pasta type stuff when I'm away I add half (or even a whole one if you fancy) a pepperami type stick. You can buy them pretty cheaply and as they're already preserved no need to dick around with them. Even the fairly basic packets taste ok with all the extra veg, chilli and garlic etc.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

geordiejono wrote:thanks decaff
what is "booking" i have never noticed that wording in anything i have looked at with regards to potatoes.

thanks
geordie

Sorry, should have said boiling not booking :?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.