Fruit and nuts

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: Fruit and nuts

Post by Arzosah »

One of my rhubarb plants seemed like it had done its thing for the year, but I've got new shoots on it now. The blackberries are going crazy, so are the sloes (ripening, not ripe!) but the raspberries have got nothing at all this year.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My raspberries didn't amount to much either this year but to be fair I'd put that down to having moved them to a different part of the garden . Interesting reading of others crops , thanks.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Our small crop of strawbs and rasps wasn't particularly impressive but the apples look like a good haul, we're planning on giving cider a go, not my tipple to be honest but I've still got a load of dehydrated slices from last year and I've got a few willing volunteers to 'assist' with the consumption. Tomatoes and chillies have been a bit 'meh' compared to last year but the cucumbers have been decent. Not quite the same thing but Her Maj has grown the most mahoosive sunflowers and she's planning on drying the seeds.

I've no idea how the allotment produce is coming along, I've managed to swerve it for a couple of months, she's been watering etc on the way home from work so I'm looking forward to what the allotment Gods gift us.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

My blueberries have been a disappointment so far this year. No fruit on either Bush so far and the 30 degree heat has damaged one of them.

Tomatoes love the heat however as has my herb garden, got so much basil, thyme and chives that I've got to harvest and freeze it tomorrow. I also did mixed herbs but when I harvested them last the smell was absolutely atrocious... Straight in the compost bin!!

Lettuce (well, apart from iceberg which bolted) has also been a massive success and have had to buy more seeds to keep up with demand from the family :)
M9 Nightrider

Post by M9 Nightrider »

Just wanted to add to this thread. Our strawberries and raspberries have been a huge success in our garden this year, with a large second crop of raspberries also now coming at the allotment. I have 4 apple trees in our garden, 2 column which produced a few large apples and 2 other trees which produced quite a few smaller ones. However, both trees fruit were attacked by something and all are inedible. Not a big deal this year as we are still growing/training these trees.

Runner beans, turnips, leeks and onions are all looking great at the allotment as well but the potatoes have been ruined by blight.

Next year we are looking to kick on and improve the crops in both the garden and allotment significantly.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

grenfell wrote:but it's always a battle to get the nuts before the squirrels .
Ain't that the truth! You go out and check and think "hmm..yes tomorrow they'll be ripe", you go to bed, you get up and go out to harvest, the tree is bare! :shock: The little blighters have an in-built almond ripeness detector and clearly get up earlier than I do. :evil:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

This was my year.
spuds were good, carrots hit by fly in one corner so the boards need to be higher next year, peas rubbish, runners and onions good, plums good, eating apples good, but not a single cooking apple toms and cucumbers and lettuces good but courgettes of all things, rubbish.
its a funny world but next year gonna move one green house and build a longer cold frame
Never give in.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

M9 Nightrider wrote:However, both trees fruit were attacked by something and all are inedible. Not a big deal this year as we are still growing/training these trees.
It's not apple scab? Looks horrible, but is completely harmless. Just peel the apples before cooking them. And prune them the following years so there is one hand between them.

Sorry, grew up in an Orchard. ;)
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

I leave my apples for the birds etc as they are pretty tasteless,however just picked 10lb of first crop victoria plums and wife now making plum jam.
Happy days :D
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

My tomatoes were very late, pumpkins doing well, loads of grapes but many have split.

Big surprise was Cape Gooseberries - never grown them before, they thrive in the polytunnel despite 40c temps that wilt everything else on some days and they are doing well outside too. I'm looking for crops tolerant of extreme weather, so was pleased to find them.