Rat control Surrey

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
munchh

Re: Rat control Surrey

Post by munchh »

We are more worried about keeping the rats out of our rabbits, we dont like dogs, im more likely to set up a hide and get my rifle out.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Just picked up another 10kg of poison and a new trap at Central Wool Growers for £31 on special.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

kernewek wrote:Jack Russell?
Or a Danish Swedish Farmdog, the are not quit as possesed by demons as a JRT. They are really nice. :P
bignig1

Post by bignig1 »

Hi all just like to say I as well as other allotment holders Have had problems with rats for more than 20 years.it doesn't help keeping live stock as most of us do.most of us use the small size fen traps to keepp control of the little blighters.or big in most cases.I have 2 traps placed around my chicken run and every day I get 2 rats without fail.I've lost count of how many I've caught.

Photo removed by moderator.

The photo wasn't required to demonstrate the nature of your post and we don't need to see an extremely close up image of a dead rat, so it has been deleted.
dannytsg

Post by dannytsg »

Don't forget the good old air rifle. If anyone up north has a problem and needs some help free of charge I'll happily deal with the problem.
Wild Camping motto - "Pitch Late, leave early and leave no trace"

Volunteer Parks and Forest Ranger in the RMBC district

http://www.uksaa.uk
jansman

Post by jansman »

preparedsurrey wrote:Just picked up another 10kg of poison and a new trap at Central Wool Growers for £31 on special.
Poison every time. I have stock and they draw vermin like flies to sh#t. We have cats. Yes they catch the odd mouse. Anyone tells you they catch rats is a liar. Rats bite. Back in the 80's And 90's I had a team of terriers I hunted badgers(when it was legal) foxes and RATS. Yes they caught plenty, but were very inefficient long term.Plus I have not got the time to wait with a gun. That IS inefficient. Poison waits. And works.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
preparedsurrey wrote:Just picked up another 10kg of poison and a new trap at Central Wool Growers for £31 on special.
Poison every time. I have stock and they draw vermin like flies to sh#t. We have cats. Yes they catch the odd mouse. Anyone tells you they catch rats is a liar. Rats bite. Back in the 80's And 90's I had a team of terriers I hunted badgers(when it was legal) foxes and RATS. Yes they caught plenty, but were very inefficient long term.Plus I have not got the time to wait with a gun. That IS inefficient. Poison waits. And works.
One of our cats has brought us a couple of rats home as presents, he's not massive either and he's dragged a half dead magpie home as well, that was interesting when the magpie tried to make a bid for freedom. :lol: My brother had a couple of farm cats when he lived in a farm cottage and they've brought back pheasants and even a hare although I don't know if they found it dead, a hare seems a step too far.
jansman

Post by jansman »

One tough cat then. I have seen farmyard toms shy off em many times. Considering the damage rats did to the dogs when we were hunting,the cats had sense! We caught many, literally, thousands on the pig and poultry farm here,and never once saw a moggy tackle a rat,and they had plenty of opportunity. Just ya luck I guess.mind you,I have seen cats catch plenty of rabbits.

Back to control, I will stick with poison. If you need a body count,a well set trap line works too. The beauty of this is it works while you don't. It is fun shooting them but it takes precious time .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I keep 20+ pigs, so rats are always around. My cats do kill the babies, and a neighbours collies kill adults regularly, but by far the most effective way to get rid of them is to keep anything edible in metal bins and feed the animals in plastic trugs so they eat it all. Cut off their food supply and they leave.

I'm a keen shooter, and have several guns to choose from, but for ratting inside the barn a break-barrel air rifle with open sights is as good as anything - because sometimes they are right by your feet.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Just an update not seen any for a while, poison has stopped being taken and nothing in the trap, looks like they have moved somewhere easier...
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....