Erm... Pot Noodles!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
munchh

Re: Erm... Pot Noodles!

Post by munchh »

Well im still alive, salt and black pepper, we just wondered if there was any oil in them that would go bad, i might keep one long term to see what happens.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

The density of noodles makes it a non-runner for me for storage. Yes, they are yummy, but in a SHTF scenario I wouldn't want to waste a box-sized space in the boot with lots of air.

It's not quite the same, but spaghetti pasta packs in very densely. And if you store a bottle of soy and some herbs, it's almost the same as slutty noodles. Almost :)
unsure

Post by unsure »

i store lots of pasta in any shape or form , but it needs to be cooked not just have hot water put on it , yes pasta packs well and as you say pot noddle do take lot of room for what they are , but how much extra room would you need for the extra water needed to cook pasta .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Rather than buy pot noodles just buy the noodle cakes in a plastic wrap with a flavour sachet, its the 20c version of these that even now makes me want to be sick rather than eat another after living solely on them with a little frozen veg or butter for a month...
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Decaff wrote:
DundeePrepper wrote:
Decaff wrote:I've recently rotated a pack of the beef and tomato pot noodles into my cupboards, I don't mind them with a bread roll or toast. Add lots of ketchup and or chives/herbs and theyre not bad. They don't taste that great if they go too far over the eat by date, they should be indestructable as its all dried but sadly not.
I think if you were to decant one into a mylar bag with oxy absorber it would last longer, the foil lid cant be airtight...
I dont use Mylar bags yet, don't have the sealer or the money for them to be honest and then I would make my own healthier version rather than the ready made ones. Nice idea though. Plus no one else in my home will eat them!!
Decaff, you don't need a special sealer - I use my iron (no steam), but use it on a solid surface to seal the bags (eg the granite in the kitchen) 'cos the ironing board is too soft to get a good seal. You can also use really hot ceramic straighteners (like GHDs). Agree they are expensive, but I've only used them for "permanent" preps so far - stuff like salt, lentils, sugar, etc, the kind of stuff that goes into the buckets, sealed and stored for eternity or SHTF, whichever comes first :). Mine came as a pack with bags and ORs (not to be used with sugar). Felt it was worth it.

I started buying Pot Noodles again a while back for my daughter doing DoE - they're very light (weight more important than bulk, I think, when you're walking). She loves them, as I did when I was in my 20s!!!! They are so easy as all you need is boiling water and a fork. Wracked with guilt that my DD was eating such crap, I tried one too and didn't fall over dead, but did feel a bit yuck afterwards - sluggish, but they are not really, really disgusting (my OH would disagree with that!) Realising there were worse things we could eat at a pinch, I've now started keeping them as preps - not huge numbers though - and have discovered the Lidl ones are better and cheaper. They taste roughly the same, but the noodles aren't a solid lump, so they're ready faster and you don't get the crunchy bits the water didn't reach. Not sure I could summon up the will to even try to re-create a food-like substance I normally hold in contempt :).
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I have been looking at food saver machines and not been able to find one that you can put the jar attachments tube on to seal up kilner jars! Anyone have one that can do this in UK?? I'm hoping to find a deal in the sales 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.