keeping food in original packaging?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
itslee

keeping food in original packaging?

Post by itslee »

How many people keep food in their original packaging? IE rice, pasta, salt, herbs & spices? I keep my rice and now pasta in blue food buckets to prevent light getting them. They should be alright if i rotate?
Decaff

Re: keeping food in original packaging?

Post by Decaff »

I freeze all dry goods first then things like pasta, rice, egg noodles and granola I put into kilner clip top jars with oxy absorbers. I just think the packaging on them is a tad brittle and they split easily. I don't really have many buckets and those I have are filled with Raman noodles and this stops my son eating the damn things all the time!! Herbs spices are in the glass jars they come in, boxed refils are in zip locks till I have lots of them to fill a plastic lock n lock. Sugar I get in 5kg bags and decant into air tight containers (not with oxy absorbers though), salt I leave in the tubs they come in ax t never goes off or has creature problems.

I'm a tad paranoid with the storage and would rather belt and braces approach than risk losing food. After all this has cost hard earned money and someday my family may need to depend on this to keep them alive.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I keep all foods in original packs. After all, it is subject to strict hygiene rules to be sold in the UK. Our rice and pasta goes into 5gallon buckets, in original packs, in a cool environment. Had no problems yet.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

jansman wrote:I keep all foods in original packs. After all, it is subject to strict hygiene rules to be sold in the UK. Our rice and pasta goes into 5gallon buckets, in original packs, in a cool environment. Had no problems yet.
Absolutely fine in buckets I agree, but I find they crack when in my cupboard as the bags are that brittle plastic but I would keep in original packs if I had a food saver and could add that extra layer of strong protection.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

To be fair Decaff, if it is what you are comfy with, go for it! Me, I am lazy, but all food stores is in constant rotation. I think the main factors are cool ,dark and above all, dry.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

jansman wrote:To be fair Decaff, if it is what you are comfy with, go for it! Me, I am lazy, but all food stores is in constant rotation. I think the main factors are cool ,dark and above all, dry.
I'm just paranoid I think, can't stand the thought of wriggly things in my food :? It would send me fruit loop :lol: I rotate too but not till its coming up till use by dates but am I correct that flour, rice, pasta etc stored in jars with oxy absorbers will keep indefinitely as long as the seal is still there? I do get confused!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Mentioned before I follow the freezing method decaff does but as a rule unless the packaging is damaged then it stays in what it came in.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

If it comes in sealed plastic then I tend to keep it in its original wrapper - putting the whole packet into a sealed tub/bucket. (Have learned from experience about thin plastic wrappers and mice!) If it comes in a paper wrapper then I tend to decant into mylar bags, or plastic/glass jars depending on how long I'm intending to store it. I do the freezing thing with flour but not anything else. Plastic packets once opened I decant into plastic/glass jars.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

For long-term storage I leave pasta/rice/legumes original packaging, prick that packaging with a pin store then store it in mylar with oxygen absorbers. Stuff that's opened I just keep in clip top jars, except for pasta which isn't usually around long enough to warrant anything other than chucking it in the cupboard in the open packet!

Herbs and spices I keep in the original glass jars in the store cupboard.
itslee

Post by itslee »

Does anyone freeze dried goods in the original packaging?