Hedgerow harvests - what are you foraging atm?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Re: Hedgerow harvests - what are you foraging atm?

Post by grenfell »

Thanks for that smudge, I'll give it a go if I get the chance.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Parasol mushrooms
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Eclectickle

Post by Eclectickle »

The first sweet chestnuts of the year.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Eclectickle wrote:The first sweet chestnuts of the year.
Yours a decent size then?
Around here they're all tidgy
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've had very little luck with the chestnuts too , but found some parasols growing out of the horse muck heap at a regular customer's . Funnily enough I've got a fair few false parasols in my own garden and talking of non edible mushrooms in the woods by me there are masses of fly agaric. I've picked a few just to see if they actually work as a fly killer although it's a bit hard to tell as there are less flies about at this time of year. I presume it would be possible to dry them and hopefully the poison would remain for use next summer.
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

grenfell wrote:I've had very little luck with the chestnuts too , but found some parasols growing out of the horse muck heap at a regular customer's . Funnily enough I've got a fair few false parasols in my own garden and talking of non edible mushrooms in the woods by me there are masses of fly agaric. I've picked a few just to see if they actually work as a fly killer although it's a bit hard to tell as there are less flies about at this time of year. I presume it would be possible to dry them and hopefully the poison would remain for use next summer.
I believe fly algaric is edible, but you have to cook it.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Generally classed as poisoness as are most of the amanita species are , it's closely related to the death cap for instance. That said it has been eaten for it's narcotic properties , the Lapps are known to have made great use of this after evidently watching deer "drunk" after consuming the mushroom . They also discovered the narcotic passes through the animal and drinking the urine produces the same halucinationary effect on humans :shock:
The poisons contained are evidently concentrated in the red portions , are water soluble , and from what I've found out after googling will remain and are possibly concentrated if the caps are dried.
Either way I'll just look at them or try them as an insecticide but I'm not going to eat them and I'm not going to recommend anyone else does.
jansman

Post by jansman »

CynicalSurvival wrote:
grenfell wrote:I've had very little luck with the chestnuts too , but found some parasols growing out of the horse muck heap at a regular customer's . Funnily enough I've got a fair few false parasols in my own garden and talking of non edible mushrooms in the woods by me there are masses of fly agaric. I've picked a few just to see if they actually work as a fly killer although it's a bit hard to tell as there are less flies about at this time of year. I presume it would be possible to dry them and hopefully the poison would remain for use next summer.
I believe fly algaric is edible, but you have to cook it.
It is the original'Magic Mushroom'.
I have been out this afternoon and grabbed a bagful of field and wood Blewits. Very common around here, and there is fierce competition between all us village locals! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Was walking the dog and saw a woman with a bucket as I walked passed her I looked in to see some sort of brown fruit so I stoped and asked her what they were she told me that they were medlar apples and showed me where they were growing and told me how to find out when they were ripe. :D
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Medlars

Re:Fly Agaric, basically just leave them alone.